Tension

Somehow they both fell asleep at some point and Q was the first being wake because a nightmare wouldn't let her continue getting some rest. She sat up carefully, pulled the blanket up to her chin and the two corners over her shoulders so she could feel a little safer.
Watching Natasha Q wondered if she could sleep better than her since she looked pretty peaceful.
The door opened quietly, almost unnoticeable, and Q's head shot in its direction. She could only make out a round dark shape which probably was a head but when he began to talk, Q immediately recognized that voice. Bucky.
"Hey, can I come in?", he whispered and Q nodded.
It was silent for a while until she noticed it was too dark for him to see so she whispered: "Yeah, but Natasha's asleep."
The door opened wider and the figure named Bucky walked in, not making any sound.
After he closed the door behind him he looked a little lost so Q told him he could come closer but at the same time, she moved back as much as possible to not fall yet get a little more distance to him.
Bucky felt unsure about it but trusted her words and thought she would say something if she'd change her mind. Walking over to her bed, he tried to not wake up Natasha which he successfully managed. With a meter distance to the bed, he sat down on the floor because he wanted Q to feel more in charge by sitting higher than him.
They stared at each other's silhouettes and no one dared to say something. Bucky's metal arm reflected a few lights which Q looked at and made her feel better because she knew it was him. She knew he wasn't a threat. Which was funny since he used to be the Winter Soldier who once was feared by everyone.
"What's so funny?", he asked whispering and Q wondered if he could read minds now which made no sense because then he'd know.
"Your breath sounded like you laughed", Bucky added after a few seconds. Maybe he did read minds. Just... not good enough.
"Don't laugh at me." "Stop reading minds", Q replied. "I'm not. It's just obvious. So... what is so funny about me?" "Nothing." "Q." "Bucky."
Silence.
"I could hear that eye-roll", Q said and laughed quietly again, this time Bucky joined.
"I'm still waiting for an answer", Bucky said when it died down. "Your arm", Q said and looked at it, as if Bucky could see her gaze. "It also has feelings you know?" "I don't think metal can have any feelings." "Maybe not. But the man connected to it." He had a point. "I'm just messing with you. But what makes it funny?"
Q didn't want to hurt him by bringing up old memories but he also didn't stop asking. "It's...", she thought about her next step, "I feel safer seeing it." Bucky scoffed and needed a little with his answer.
"Usually people feel the opposite." "Usually people don't get raped for days with no end." Q's voice was so low that she didn't even know if anyone heard her. Or if her voice got out at all.
"I'll do everything I can to protect you", he said. Bucky had heard it.
Wiping away a few tears and not being able to avoid a sob, Bucky stood up slowly and got closer, just to get on his knees and look in Q's face.
"I promise", he said and his hand got closer to Q's face. She didn't flinch nor did she say stop. It was okay. And with that, Bucky took her face in his hand, wiped a few more tears away with his thumb and told her that she wasn't alone in that fight. "I'm glad this arm has one good meaning for someone", Bucky whispered.
Suddenly he got pulled back and someone pinned him down which startled Q so she let out a scream.
"It's alright, Q, and you-" "Nat, let him go! It's okay!"
The figure on Bucky looked back to Q. "Leave him", Q said firmly and Natasha stood up. "Are you okay?", Natasha asked her worried. "I felt better before you suddenly attacked him", Q said mockingly. "Yup, you're alright. Since when is he here?" "He is still in the same room and can hear you", Bucky said getting up. "For a while. We talked a little", Q answered and Natasha wasn't all too happy about it. "I told you to not come in, this could have ended way worse." "He asked and it was okay. Drop it, Nat. I'm not scared of him." Natasha sighed. "Fine. Then I'm gonna leave, for now, I need coffee", she said and left.
"So you're not scared of me?", he asked. "No. As I said, that arm... I feel safe", she got back to where they got interrupted. "But why? You know I-" "Bucky", Q paused, then sighed, "I don't care what the Soldier did. Even though that arm belongs to your past, it belongs to your present as well. And just look at me - I tortured and killed people as well." Q swallowed. She wanted to let Bucky feel better but as soon as she said it, she felt bad because it wasn't just a saying. She had done it. Tortured them. Killed them. She was evil.
"If you hate yourself and this arm... you have to hate me as well." "I could never hate you..." "Well... actually, as long as my information about it isn't wrong, you hated y/n when she started." "Spare me", Bucky sighed and Q chuckled, "It feels like you both will never stop annoying me with it, huh?" "Never." "I knew it... However, do you need anything?" "Maybe a helping hand?" Bucky was skeptical. "Why?", he asked. "I... I just want to... uhm...", Q sighed and was about to give up but Bucky understood. "It's okay. You can tell me." Q wished it was that easy.
Sighing she said: "I just... I want to get up." Bucky knew there was more but he was happy to hear an answer at all. He wanted to ask her if she was sure but he dropped it, knowing she would backpaddle right away if he did.
"Alright", he said and Q took a deep breath before she lowered the blanket and moved to the edge of the bed. Bucky got close enough so she could grab him to steady herself but she needed a couple of minutes to feel ready.
Patiently he waited until she got on her feet. Bucky knew she was in pain and simply didn't want to show it but he stayed quiet. "Want to go to the kitchen? I'd like to grab some food." Q hummed in agreement but it also sounded a little tense.