~In The Pit~

POV (Y/n)

"Damn, (Y/n) he nearly killed you," Jeff says as he touches and examines the bruises on my throat, and I try hard not to wince as he does. "Try speaking," he offers and I swallow nervously already bracing for the pain "W-what's g-gonna hhhappen to him?" I struggle out. Everyone in the room's face sours at the sound of my voice and the question it holds. Gally can't even look at me, "he broke the rules, and he's stung. He's out," Alby states simply and I furrow my brow as if the words hurt me as much as my already forming bruises. 

I go to open my mouth to say something, but Jeff stops me "I think it'd be best if you tried not to speak much," Jeff said trying to be gentle. I sigh frustrated and throw myself back onto the makeshift bed. I think about Avery, although I didn't know him for more than a week we were friends. He had long red hair he'd tie back into a ponytail when he'd run, and just this morning he helped me put my hair up in a similar style. Tears escaped my eyes at the memory and I couldn't even try to hide them from the seven boys in the room. (Gally, Alby, Newt, Tony, Jacob, Clint, and Jeff) 

I gasped and Gally hurried to my side wrapping his strong arms around me. I don't know how long I cried, but I cried into my sleep. When I woke up it was pitch dark around me, but I could still feel Gally's form wrapped around me. I pulled away from him gently, but he woke up anyways. He stirred and sat up next to me, I could feel his eyes looking over my features but he didn't dare interrupt my silence. 

"I wanna see him," I croaked out my voice still hoarse, Gally's silence disappeared in a blink "are you crazy?" he asks and I shrug. "(Y/n), he nearly killed you today," he reminds and I wave him off "he was my friend," I answer and Gally shakes his head violently. "Not anymore, just come lay back down," Gally pleads opening his arms to me. I sigh heavily giving in and curling up next to the builder. "You scared me today," Gally states, and I nearly scoff at his words "I realized I can't lose you, (Y/n)," he added. I tilt my head slightly looking into his eyes looking for the words to say, but I can't find any. 

Gally doesn't mind as he takes my chin in his rough callused fingers holding it in place gently. He leans down his eyes fluttering closed as his lips crash into mine. My eyes follow suit and I place one of my hands on his cheek. When we pull apart we don't speak, I just bury my face into the croak of his neck comfortably before drifting to sleep. 

I woke up before Gally, and see a smirking Clint in my path. "Looks like you slept well," he jeers quietly attempting not to wake Gally "slim it," I whisper back with a smirk. Clint wasted no time crossing to my side of the room, he touches my throat gently, but I still hiss in pain. "You'll be bruised for a while," Clint said matter of fact and I nod. As Clint moves to a cabinet I feel Gally stir, he yawns awake and sits up beside me. "Morning," I say to the boy and he slings an arm around my waist "morning," he replies. 

Clint comes back over with a small white pill and holds it out for me. "Here you go (Y/n), this should help with any swelling and pain," he tells me as I take the pill from his hand. I toss it into my mouth without another thought swallowing the small white pill. I then throw my legs off the bed hoping off. "Where are you going?" Gally asks and I stretch "I still have work to do," I tell him and he grabs my shoulder, "I think they'll understand if you take the day off," I shrug him off "well, what about Alby and Newt, didn't they wanna ask me questions about what Avery was saying yesterday?" I quiz moving for the door.

Gally sighs "I guess we're getting up now," he follows me out of the med jack hut and to the homestead to find Alby. I locate Alby relatively fast and jump into it, but Alby said that nothing Avery said made sense and everyone that was stung talked like that. I felt useless as I sat in a chair being told to "rest" and "relax". That was genuinely the last thing I wanted to do, "I gotta go do some work with the builders, but I'll be back later. Don't do anything stupid," Gally tells me as he leaves me to my "relaxing". 

I sigh frustrated once he leaves the room, and I know what I want to do. I need to go see Avery, I leave the homestead and attempt to sneak toward the pits where I know they're holding Avery. "Now where do you think you're going?" I hear Tony's thick Italian accent ask behind me and I grumble. "I'm going to see Avery," I state and leave little room for argument and Tony gives me a sad smirk "okay, but you're not going alone," he states and I smile at him slightly.

We walk together towards the pits and I'm happy not to be alone "why do you wanna see him?" Tony asks and I shrug "I just, I don't want that to be how I remember him," I say simply and I can see Tony nod slightly in the corner of my eye. When we come up on the pits I feel the sweat coating my palms. I'm scared to actually get close to him, but Tony grabs my hand reassuring me. We got closer to the pit that has hushed mumbling coming from it. I glance in to see Avery's bright red hair in disarray, and he looks paler than before.

"Avery?" I mumble trying not to let my voice shake but Avery doesn't move his muttering just grows louder. "It's a test. The grievers will kill us all. Never leave," I hear him say "Avery, I forgive you for attacking me, can you, can you talk to me?" I plead to try to get his attention, but Gally was right. Avery isn't the same, when his head twitches towards me I see the black veins creeping up his neck and I flinch away from the pit. 

When night comes I don't go to the banishing, even though I was elected Keeper of the Map-Makers. I send Sam instead, he's tougher than Ty who hasn't been able to say Avery's day since yesterday. I understand slightly Ty saw Avery right before I did, he saw the change happen right before his eyes. No one knows of course but for all, we know the two could have been brothers both shorter with bright red hair and pale skin.

When Gally comes into my hut he wraps his arms around me tightly trying to help me forget.