vol III, season IV

LENNON dropped her bike next to a tree, not caring about the people glancing her way as she entered the cemetery

LENNON dropped her bike next to a tree, not caring about the people glancing her way as she entered the cemetery. When the news of the mall incident were out, which were covered by lies of how it burned down and crumbled, she became all Hawkins could talk about besides the inconvenient moving of the Byers. Her and Billy were the talk of the town, actually. Everyone believed they had gone to spend the day together, like loving siblings would do, and he had fallen victim of death while she had survived by miracle. Lennon switched her hearing aids off, at least, she wouldn't have to hear people, not completely at least. Older women pitied her, older men only cared for the gossip. Young people like her felt welcomed to hug her and say sorry for her brother's death. She just wanted to be left alone.

The last few months had been difficult. Billy's father flew out of town, leaving the Mayfield women on their own. Susan had fallen into a toxic routine, which mostly consisted of alcohol and cigarettes. Lennon was working in a book shop to make sure her sister would have a plate of food waiting for her at home. She hadn't been able to pay attention at school as much as she wanted, and she was beginning to see her dream of leaving the small town very far from her. She had pushed everyone away, claiming she didn't have time to do anything. In reality, she just couldn't handle people. Steve was always pitying her. Robin didn't talk to her anymore. Nancy was not only occupied with the school's newspaper and getting into a good university, she was always checking on her, sometimes suffocating her.

The only person Lennon agreed to tolerate each day was Max. She was working hard for her, cleaning the house when her shift finished, and just doing everything in her power so her sister could have a normal teenager experience. As much as she could. They were living in the trailer park, not being able to afford their old house anymore. And even if it wasn't enough for the three of them, it was what they had to live with now. Lennon blamed herself for everything. Her mother did too. Max worried about her often, but she also had too many things in her mind.

Susan was being harder on Lennon than she had ever been before. Now, she had forced to bring flowers to Billy's grave. "He's dead because of you, it's the least you could do." Lennon was glad Max wasn't at home when her mother said that. Because she wouldn't have been able to handle the look her sister would've gave her.

Now, she stood before the grave of her step-brother. People around her whispered. Oh, poor Lennon. She must feel so guilty. Indeed she did. She stared at the grave, slowly kneeling in front of it to leave the flowers carefully. Her mother wouldn't like her to drop them with no care. She stood up again, her stare turning into a glare "I just want you to know, that after everything you did to us..." Her eyes softened slightly "You didn't deserve to die. Nobody does. But... I can't say that I didn't feel relieved you wouldn't hurt us again." She whispered. Finally turning around, Lennon went back to her bike, ignoring everyone and putting on her walkman as she drove towards her job.

Just like everyday.