028. warm coffee

MAX glared up at the adults, her sister sitting on the arm of the couch besides her

MAX glared up at the adults, her sister sitting on the arm of the couch besides her. Dustin sat in between her and Lucas, who was currently rubbing his hands down his face. They were all worried, having been caught by the police officers after a while of running around. Good news was, they hadn't found Eddie nor the others. But, now, they were at the Wheeler's. Lennon glanced at Karen, who sent her a reassuring smile, although she could sense the nerves of the older woman. In front of them, the officers Powell and Callahan were asking them some questions. The former sat before them, while the other stood behind him. Around them, the kids' parents stood or sat around, except for Susan. Erica was also there, with Lucas and her's parents.

"And what exactly were you all doing at the lake?" Powell asked them. The three younger teens gaped, looking at each other and trying to find an answer.

Luckily for them, Lennon was a magnificent liar, "I took them out for a walk." She shrugged, trying to act nonchalant.

"A walk?" Callahan exclaimed "At 9:00 p.m.?"

"To the lake." Dustin croaked, "We were gonna take a little swim." He turned to Lennon, who shook her head at him "Little night swim."

"Stop." She hissed, turning to the adults with a smile "They were very worried, with everything that's happening right now. So, why not a little adventure at the lake?"

Dustin's mother raised an eyebrow at her "But, darling. Someone was just murdered there."

Lennon gaped at that "What? We had no idea." The three by her side exchanged a glance, but stayed silent as she handled the situation.

"Was Nancy with you?" Karen asked her, worried but keeping her tone soft.

Lennon shook her head "No, she's with Robin and Steve. She's helping Robin with some school project and Steve is just, there." Karen sighed in relief, turning to her husband with a smile, but he wasn't looking back at her. Trying to hide her disappointment, she turned back to the teens.

"And why did you lead us in the wrong direction?" Callahan asked angrily. Powell held out a hand to silence him, not liking the way he was talking to them.

She tilted her head to a side, "I, uh, I thought you were some friend of mine. They like to play pranks on me." She explained, earning an odd look from her sister "Didn't expect to get arrested." She held out her hands, wrists cuffed "Can you take these off already?" Powell nodded to Callahan, who took the cuffs from her "Thanks." She said as he stood behind Powell again.

"Have you had any contact with Eddie?" Powell then asked.

"No." Lennon simply replied "Are we done?"

"No." Powell replied just like she previously did, standing up "We're gonna ask you one by one. You first. Please, come with us Miss Mayfield." He pointed to Lennon, who furrowed as he walked away. Callahan rushed her with a pointed look, making her sigh as she stood up as well.