Chapter 9:

Maya's POV

I had a really good feeling about everything. 

Although Carina and I had never talked about fostering siblings, I never doubted splitting them up for one second. 

I couldn't imagine what it was like to become a mother at the age of 7. Having to raise and look after a child, while still being a child herself, must've been really hard on Scarlett. She gave up on her whole childhood and is now giving up on her teenage years because her mother was busy reliving hers. 

Thinking of how their mother basically just abandoned them, leaving a 7-year-old to raise a baby just made me extremely mad.

 At the same time, I pitied her. Losing your husband in battle and being left to raise two young kids by yourself is hard. It's still no excuse for choosing drugs over your children.

Carina's POV

After we left Cindy's office and went home, I could tell that Maya was really excited about this. She was really happy and energetic about it all the time. 

Of course, I was happy too and I was excited as well, but I was also a little scared. Both girls were super nice and Scarlett's laugh was so contagious. Alice was the cutest little munchkin I have ever seen and I was really excited about having not one, but directly two people in my house who spoke Italian. 

But Cindy was right, we have no idea what those girls went through. I mean hearing Scarlett tell Alice that they can't trust us and that we might hit them, broke my heart. I don't want to know how often these girls have been betrayed and given into the wrong care.

I just wanted to open my arms and give them the tightest hug ever. I wanted to take them in and cook them food and make them feel safe. I want, what Maya wants. I want to foster those two girls.

Scarlett's POV

Even though I had a night to sleep on it, I still wasn't completely sure whether it was a good thing that we met Carina and Maya. There are so many things that could go wrong but at the same time so many good things that can happen.

Alice had spent the night in my bed again because she was excited about Maya and Carina, maybe taking us in. She didn't sleep much last night and was still asleep when I woke up. I carefully made my way over to the bathroom and got ready for the day.

I took out my phone and decided to ask Payton, an old friend of mine, whether she could meet up today because I really needed someone to talk to.

It took about 5 minutes until I got a reply

I clicked on the location and was kind of surprised. As far as I knew, Payton was staying with her foster parents, but this showed that she was at the homeless camp. I walked over to Alice, carefully waking her up and telling her that I was going to go out for a while, and then made my way to Cindy's office, telling her that I was meeting up with a friend.