Chapter 12:

Scarlett's POV

Today was the day that would determine it all. Cindy left to go to Maya and Carina's house, to see whether it was suitable for us. Meanwhile, I was left in despair. I kept pacing around my room trying to calm myself down. My ankle wasn't bothering me anymore, luckily, but now I was concerned about other things.

Like before any new placement, I took out my phone and pulled up my Moms contact.

I sometimes write her, to check up on her and she usually answers. I'm aware that she's probably high most of the time, but knowing that she still cares enough to answer, helps me relax. Sometimes I just pull up her contact and stare at it without writing her.

But today I decided it was time to give her another update.

I turned it off and started packing my things. I then went over to Alice, to help her pack her things up, and surprisingly she wasn't nervous or scared at all. She was jumping all over the place dreaming about what our rooms might look like and what their house might look like.

My phone buzzed. It was Cindy.

Cindy 💚🎁

Hey good news, you can start packing.

I sighed: "Well already done that", I muttered to myself.

Just as I was about to answer, a new message popped up.

It was my mom.

I took a deep breath in before clicking on her contact again.

I knew it. I knew she is going to get better. And it won't take long until we can go and live with her. It won't take long until we can go home.

Not long after, Cindy arrived and Alice and I said our goodbyes to our friends. I felt really bad leaving Mary. She had become one of my best friends. But Cindy promised me that I could visit whenever I wanted to. We got into the car and took off.

Once again we were leaving, to go live with complete strangers. You may think that you'll get used to it, but you never do. It's the uncertainty of what's about to come, that can slowly drive you mad.