Chapter 18: Good news?

Scarlett's POV

It's been almost two months since we arrived and I haven't heard back from my mother. I still haven't decorated my room, since I barely spend time in there anyway. I usually just hang out with Payton at the camps or her now more usual location. I really wanted to get clean, but I just couldn't. Not yet.

Payton got a lot worse though.

She always spends time with some of her other friends behind the train station. I sometimes join her.

A few days ago this guy came up to me and asked me how much I cost. I just said, "forget about it".

I love Payton, but I hate the girl she is right now. All she wants to talk about is herself, suitors, and pimps and when she's on turkey she gets really insufferable.

At the same time, I can't leave her. I need to make sure she's alright.

I've been getting along fine, stealing Valium from the Millers, but I've also found some dealers at the train station that sell it.

I mean sure, I have to pay, but I get a lot more so it's worth it.

It's just a matter of time until I run out of money and things to sell.

My phone buzzed.

Mamma ❤️

Ciao cuore mio.

Guess what, I'm finally out of rehab and allowed to see you guys.

😘

Me

Omg, that's great Mamma.

I can't wait to see you again.

😍

I couldn't help but smile.

I got ready for the day and headed out of my room.

Me: "Hey. I have a question. Or more like a favor to ask", I said to Carina and Maya in the kitchen.

Carina: "What is it bambina", she asked turning her attention to me.

Me: "So, there's this thing...and I think I could use your guys' help to set it up."

Maya: "Sure, spit it out", she said chuckling.

Me: "So, my Mom just got out of rehab and I haven't seen her. I thought we could set up a meeting."

I saw Maya and Carina exchange a look.

Maya's POV

Scarlett: "So, my Mom got out of rehab and I haven't seen her. I thought we could set up a meeting", Scarlett said, nervously playing with her hands.

Carina and I exchanged a look and I wasn't really sure what to even think.

Carina: "Uhm, sure bambina. We could Cindy and ask her for help", Carina suggested.

I just froze then and there. Did I just hear her right?

Me: "Carina can I talk to you", I said pulling her into our bedroom.

Carina: "What's wrong", she asked confused.

Me: "Is this okay? Like, can she just get clean and walk back into her kids' lives, which we take part in too now, and be the parent, that she failed to be once before? Like, that can't be a thing, right?"

Carina: "Maya...."

Me: "What if she relapses, how is that gonna make Scarlett feel huh?"

Carina: "Bambina, I get that you're frustrated and upset, but we have no legal right to forbid her from seeing her biological mother."

I pinched my nose. (I hope you know what I mean 😂)

Carina: "Hey, look at me. Let's give Cindy a call and she'll know what to do, okay?"

She pulled me in for a hug.

We spent another minute hugging each other and then went back out. Scarlett was still sitting at the table, daddling on her phone.

Me: "So, we'd have to call Cindy, so she can help, but I think that should be no problem", I forced myself to say. Scarlett's face lit up and she thanked us, running back into her room.

I hated it.

Scarlett's POV

I was super excited. I was finally gonna see my Mom again. Maybe we can move back in with her after our visitation. Maybe, I could get clean again, being with my Mom. I couldn't wait to see her. My life was finally taking its right course.

Carina's POV

Maya was frustrated and quite frankly, so was I. I tried not to show it in front of Scarlett, but Maya was right. As much as I was happy for Scarlett, that she could see her Mom again, I hated her Mom for doing this to them.

In training, we were told that we might hate the people, that did these things to our children, but we needed to find a way to forgive them.

I just wasn't so sure I could do that right now.

After Scarlett left for her room, Maya and I called Cindy to ask her for advice.

She said that it could actually take a while until the girls would be allowed to have supervised visits with their mother since they needed to prove that she was clean and Cindy had to go over it with the caseworker.

At least that gave us time to prepare a little bit.