Chapter 39:

Scarlett's POV

The week went by pretty quickly and sure enough, it was Friday again.

Maya: "Hey, you ready to leave", Maya poked her head into my room.

Me: "Yeah sure, I'll be out in a sec", I nodded my head.

I finished what I was doing and went into the living room.

Ali was laying on the couch, asleep, with a hot water bottle and a fuzzy blanket.

Carina: "I'm staying home today, looks like Ali caught the flu", Carina said to Maya.

Me: "I'll stay, I'll take care of her. You don't need to miss out on work", I chimed in.

Carina: "Oh no honey, you don't have to do that."

Maya: "Besides, you have a session with Diane today remember?"

Me: "Yeah, but if Ali's sick then I want to stay with her", I said getting a little panicky.

Carina: "Hey, look at me. It's fine. I'll take care of her okay? I'm a doctor remember", she said, her hands on my shoulders.

I took a deep breath in and exhaled.

Maya: "Scarlett, she will be fine okay? Carina will take really good care of her, while I take you to your therapy session, so you can take care of your health okay", Maya chimed in.

I sighed.

Me: "Okay", I nodded.

We arrived at the station not too long after, and Diane was already there.

I hoped that I had some time before she arrived, but I guess you can't have everything in life.

Diane: "Oh hey, there you are. Ready", she asked as we came in.

I nodded my head and Maya gave us her office to talk in.

We got inside and Diane sat behind the desk in Maya's chair.

Diane: "Feels cool to sit in a captain's chair", she chuckled.

I set my bag down and sat down across from her.

Diane: "So, how are you today", she asked.

Me: "Good", I replied.

Diane: "Really? You seem a little...jittery."

Me: "I'm alright, really."

Diane flashed me a look.

Me: "Ali is sick. She's home, sick and I'm sitting here", I blurted out.

Diane: "Do you feel guilty that you aren't sick?"

Me: "No. But I should be there to take care of her. I should be with her right now, but I'm not."

Diane: "Well, who is with her right now?"

Me: "Carina."

Diane: "Do you trust Carina?"

Me: "Yes."

Diane: "Then what are you worried about?"

Me: "I don't know. What if she gets really bad and has to go to the hospital? Or what if her fever gets too high and no one notices? What if something happens while I'm not there", I said, now pacing around the room.

Diane: "Okay, Scarlett, calm down. Take a deep breath in and exhale."

I did as she said.

Diane: "Okay good. Have Maya or Carina ever done anything to harm you or your sister", she asked.