Chapter 35:

Maya's POV

I opened the door to our apartment and saw Carina in the kitchen, already making dinner.

Alice: "Mommy", Ali said, running up to hug me.

Me: "Hey baby, how was your day", I asked, picking her up.

Alice: "I drew a picture. Come see."

I put her down and she pulled me into the living room.

Me: "Hey hon, how was your day", I asked Scarlett, who was looking at something on her phone.

Scarlett: "Good, I guess. Your wife convinced me to TRY therapy", she chuckled.

Carina: "No harm in that", Carina yelled from the kitchen.

Me: "Well, I got a lot to learn", I laughed.

I went into the kitchen and gave Carina a kiss.

Me: "So, how was your day", I asked hugging her from behind.

Carina: "Oh you know. Lots of patients, babies...."

Me: "Mmh."

Carina: "How about you", she asked.

Me: "Oh you know. Lots of fires, saving people's lives...."

Carina: "Yeah I can smell the first part", she laughed.

Me: "Oh sorry, I'll keep my distance", I chuckled moving away.

Carina: "Want to wait with your shower, so I can join you", Carina asked, biting her lip.

Me: "Nothing better than that."

I walked out of the kitchen and started setting the table.

Carina: "Oh can you maybe ask Diane if she would have a session with Scarlett, I promised her I'd ask", she called from the kitchen.

Me: "Uh yeah sure, I think she's coming in tomorrow anyway. Are you helping out at the clinic tomorrow?"

Carina: "Yeah. Oh also, Ali's school ends early tomorrow, should I take her to the station after or drop her off at the hospital?"

Me: "I think you can drop her off at the station. I can ask Andy to keep an eye on her if we need to."

Carina: "Alright, perfect. Hey, dinner's ready."

We called the girls and sat down for dinner.

Carina's POV

It was so nice to sit down as a family and eat. I enjoyed being a Mom. It felt right.

Maya seemed so happy. Her mood changed whenever she was around the girls. Ali just gave off such a good vibe and Scarlett could make anyone laugh, by just laughing herself. 

They belonged here, with us.

Since the girls haven't been going to any visits with their biological mother, the mood has changed. Alice's meltdowns and tantrums are gone and Scarlett spends a lot more time with us. Of course, we knew that that was only temporary since Scarlett was better now.

Scarlett: "I spoke to Cindy again. You know asking when we can see our mother again", she said looking at her plate.

I could see Ali's face change.

Maya: "What did she say?"

Scarlett: "That she would contact her and then call me back. I just thought you guys should know since...", she stopped.

Me: "Thanks for telling us."

Alice: "I don't want to go", Ali said, putting her fork down.

Scarlett: "What do you mean", Scarlett asked, turning her attention to Ali.