Chapter 5: Break The Rules

~ Emery's POV~

I can't help but be a little disappointed when I wake up to find that Colin is out. I didn't even sleep in that late, didn't he sleep in on the weekends? The bed in his guest room was so incredibly comfortable, it has been a long time since I slept so peacefully, it took a lot of willpower to get myself up. The warm weighted blanket had felt like a hug. The best part? I had slept in the same house as Colin Corrette.

Since Colin is not around, I decide I will treat myself to a lazy, relaxing morning. I haven't been in a place I can truly relax since my mother passed away. Stepping over to the bookcase I look it over. I tilt my head a little at the one that features a human face which is half a skull on the front. Picking it up I flip it over. This book is intended for adult audiences. Please be aware this book could be triggering for some, read with caution. Intrigued I take it and a bookmark with me to the bathroom. I fill the tub up, and find a bottle of lavender-smelling bubble bath and a bath bomb. With the water full, warm and bubbles overflowing I sink into the tub breathing a peaceful sigh.

It isn't until the bubbles are nearly gone, and the water has started to cool off that I finally push the bookmark into the book and get out. After draining the tub, I wrap myself in another warm, fluffy towel and head to the room next door, jumping in the doorway.

"You scared me," I say to Colin, who turns to me. He looks like he has just turned to stone at the sight of me. His entire body has gone hard, and his eyes darken. I gaze at him a moment before slowly diverting my gaze. Why do I feel like some prey animal every time I am under his gaze?

I jump when I feel him step closer to me, gently guiding me against the wall. When he cups my cheek and guides my gaze up to his I feel a shiver of warmth spread through every part of me. He is so close I can feel his warmth radiating off him. His gray gaze is penetrating every part of me. It's almost like I can hear his heart hammering in his chest.

"I so desperately want to kiss you," he finally whispers. It sounds like he is almost in pain.

I gaze at him in surprise. He wants to kiss me? Do I want him to kiss me? Yes, yes, I do. "What's stopping you? Technically I'm not your employee yet."

He gazes into my eyes, brushing his thumb down my cheek and then over my bottom lip. Every spot he touches tingles like he is awakening every nerve underneath my skin. "B-because I'm not... I'm not your typical man. My tastes are... far from romantic. I-I can't touch you... I shouldn't even be doing this, not until I have your written consent."

I gaze at him in confusion. "W-what? Why would you need my written consent?"

He hesitates, his gaze darkens as I bit my lip nervously. "Don't bite your lip," he demands his tone stern, it is almost like he is shaking. "I only have so much self-control."

"W-what if I want you to lose your self-control?" I ask. I don't know where that bravery is coming from. My heart is racing against my chest. I desperately want to reach up and push my hand through his messy hair. Why do I even want this man? He was easily twelve years older than me. But then, really, who cares? We were both adults, him more than me, but I was eighteen, age was just a number.

"You don't want that," he says instantly. "I have to remain in control for my safety and yours."

I gaze at him in confusion. He is almost shaking as he steps back from me. His hands clenched in white-knuckled fists at his sides. "Put on some clothes," he orders. "I had Reese pick you up a few new outfits. Have you eaten breakfast?"

I slowly shake my head still leaning back against the wall, I almost feel stunned.

"I will have London prepare us something, we have a few things to discuss," he says before he leaves, shutting the door behind him, I notice he makes a point to lock the door before he does so he can't come back in. It's like he doesn't trust himself to stay outside.