Chapter 1

Author's Note

When Rose Tyler decides to take a break from the adventures and stay with her mum for Christmas, the Doctor is left on his own.
As he travels through time and space by himself, he receives a signal coming from an ordinary middle school in the centre of London...

This fanfic is placed somewhere in the middle of Season 2. Enjoy and feel free to comment :D

*****

Chapter 1 - Complicated Little Emotions

Rose Tyler and the Doctor opened the door with a click and found themselves back in London. The Tardis had taken up most of the space in the living room, only a few inches away from crashing into the couch and television.

"You just parked your little blue box right in the middle of the living room," She looked around and let out a few giggles. "Oh, now mum is going to be so pissed."

The Doctor's eyes widen and he took a few steps back, leaning on the Tardis. He gulped, looking absolutely terrified of Jackie, an ordinary human being without any supernatural abilities or whatsoever. Must be traumatised from her infamous slap. Rose tried to muffle her laughter.

"Thank you again for letting me stay for Christmas." She smiled softly at him as he helped to take her luggages from the Tardis.

"Of course. I know how important Christmas is to you humans," he replied, crossing his arms in front of his chest as he returned a smile.

"Go and have fun, maybe see a planet or something." She said, bumping his shoulder with her elbow playfully.

"Ow, that hurt, you know."

"You're sure you don't want to come? We have an extra room." She offered, pointing at the room at the end of the hall.

He hesitated for a short while. "Nah, I'm fine, thanks."

Just then, footsteps could be heard approaching and Jackie entered the living room. The room was so silent you could hear a paper clip fall to the carpet as her eyes darted around the room, falling upon the police box. She glared at him, hands on her waist. He swore she was almost about to slap him.

"Well then, I'd better get going." He grinned nervously at Jackie as he waved goodbye at them, immediately taking the key from his pocket and opening the Tardis door in one fast motion. "Merry Christmas!" He peeked his head out the door before leaving.

"Merry Christmas, Doctor." Rose smiled as the familiar whooshing sounds could be heard, the Tardis vanishing before their eyes.

*****

The Doctor promised that he would travel to a new planet, so he would do so. But a part of him still desperately wanted to stay with Rose. He loved spending every single second of his life with her, and he hated every single second of being away from her. But he couldn't find himself the courage to say so.

I know, it's weird, isn't it? He could fights demons from the deepest, darkest pits of hell, stop alien creatures and cyborgs from destroying planet Earth, save the freaking universe, but he couldn't summon the courage to tell his feelings to her.

Complicated little emotions, he cursed softly to himself.

He pushed some buttons and pulled the levers, the Tardis shaking violently as he tries to stabilise his stance. And after a while the shaking finally stopped, he brushed the dust of his shirt, walking towards the front door. Turning the knob, the outside world came into view.

He looked around to find gigantic birds of different species flying around him. They were bigger in size than an average human, and compared to them, the Doctor looked like a dwarf. If anyone didn't know any better, he'd look like he was being consumed by the group of birds.

There were numerous tall trees that surrounded him, casting a shadow over them and shielding them from the unbearably hot weather. There were beautiful flowers everywhere and the lovely melodic singing voices of the birds echoed through the forest.

There was one tree that towered over the rest, the tallest tree in the universe. From down below, the tree seemed almost endless. Those who devoted their entire life - or multiple lifetimes, in fact - used advanced technology spaceships to reach the treetop but they all failed miserably, even the Tardis could never reach the top.

It was a universal wonder, legend says it has lived over billions of years, its roots surrounding the entire planet, casting a protective layer to prevent the surface of the planet to rupture, crumple and collapse into pieces.

"Welcome to our planet!" A large hummingbird flew past, calling to him in the form of telepathy as she stopped flying and stood in front of him. "Which planet are you from? Do you have a name?"

"The planet Gallifrey," he replied. She hummed delightfully in response. It was a comfort to know that not every single alien in the galaxy was murderous and cold-blooded. "You can call me the Doctor," He said.

"You're a Time Lord?" She asked telepathically, and suddenly a few more birds heard and gathered around the Doctor with surprised looks on their faces as they eagerly waited for his response. "We thought they had died during the Time War. Or at least, that was what we heard."

He nodded his head slowly. "I'm the last of the Time Lords."

The birds stopped chattering and suddenly they went quiet. They didn't know what to say. "Sorry," the hummingbird said. "I... I didn't mean to bring up the subject. Are you okay?"

"It's fine, I'm okay." The Doctor said. Then he brushed it off, like he always does. "So now, where were we?"