Chapter 24

Author's Note

Again, feel free to comment if you have any questions about the storyline. Enjoy ;)

*****

Chapter 24 - It's Time to Stop Running

Olivia Watson and Kate Stewart sat down on the captain seat in the Tardis console room while the Doctor and Captain Jack Harkness fidgeted with the switches and levers. Silence filled the air and no one had spoken a word to the Doctor ever since Joltea stormed out of the tower.

Kate had wanted to request for extra-reinforcements from the British Army but she knew that they would be of no use in this type of war, and the Doctor didn't really like hanging around soldiers. The Time Lord had walked out of the Tower of London a few minutes after Joltea did, and the rest of them had followed him to the Tardis.

This is getting too awkward, Olivia thought. As the Doctor continued switching levers, she stood up from her sitting position and made her way to the heart of the Tardis. She took in a deep breath. "So then," she said. "Where are we going again?"

Another awkward pause. Way to go, Olivia. So much for trying not to make things more awkward than it already is. The Doctor looked up from the levers (along with Jack), glancing at her for a brief moment. Light shone at his face, and only then did Jack, Kate and Olivia realise that he had been crying.

His eyes were red and puffy, and there were faint tear streaks on his face. He looked depressing. He immediately turned away after seeing the concerned looks on their faces. He hated being vulnerable — hated being so weak. He brushed the tear stains with his coat and then went back to switching the levers.

"We're trying to locate the precise coordinates of the spaceship." Jack helped to reply for the Doctor, smiling slightly at Olivia.

Kate decided to speak up. "The satellite we sent picked up a signal, a message, presumably by these aliens that are causing the destruction of the world. I've already told Olivia about this, and I was about to tell you this back at the Tower of London, before... you know." Then, everything went silent again.

They knew what she was talking about — the fight earlier between the two Time Lords. "Anyway," Kate continued to avoid further awkwardness. "The message conveyed mentioned something about their intentions of killing all life forms and wiping everyone off the face of existence."

She said this in the calmest tone possible, almost as if dealing with the end of the world was something she does everyday. And it certainly is quite impressive and courageous of her, considering that she was a mortal human being who couldn't regenerate nor tell the future.

The Doctor looked up from the switches, frowning. Could it be them? He thought, concerned. No, it couldn't be... They all died during 'the Parting of Ways', destroyed and wiped to ashes by the hands of the Bad Wolf herself. But if it really is them... then the world is doomed. "What exactly did they say? The exact words." The Doctor questioned.

"'Prepare for the end of the world. Prepare to be exterminated. Prepare for all life forms to be exterminated.'" Olivia repeated what Kate had told to her earlier.

Exterminated.

The word sent a chill down the Time Lord's spine. This only further confirmed his fear. Shock and anger mixed with fear, worry and grief was shown on the Doctor's face. He glanced towards Jack, who looked as terrified as well. They both knew who had sent the message. They knew who the spaceship belonged to.

"Daleks." Captain Jack muttered, taking in a deep breath. "The Daleks are back." He swiftly turned to Olivia and Kate. The captain laughed bitterly. "Basically... we're doomed."