Chapter 16

Chapter 16 - Part Human, Part Time Lord

The Doctor and Joltea were now back in the waiting room. Mr and Ms Watson didn't mind the new company even though they still didn't know who the two Time Lords were. The Doctor sat beside Olivia's bed and gripped her hand tightly. "Wake up, Watson. Please." He said.

*****

Olivia woke up to find herself surrounded by darkness. She tried to reach her hand out but she couldn't see anything. She was trapped — trapped in a void filled with nothing but the darkness. She desperately hoped this was a dream. She tried to find a way out, any source of sound or a shimmer of light.

Was she dead? Is this what the afterlife is like?

Almost as if instinct, she reached around her wrist and found a pulse. Good. She still had a pulse. That meant her heart was still beating. So she couldn't be dead.

... Right?

She sat there for what felt like days. Although the constant ticking in her head told her it had already been precisely 5 hours, 38 minutes and 54 seconds.

She cried. She shouted. She yelled. Her screams echoed through the darkness. She tried to remember what happened earlier that caused her to come here in the first place.
Her memory was fuzzy and it was like her brain was slowly being taken away piece by piece from her.

Until suddenly she remembered.

She had been hit by a car! Holy —

"Wake up, Watson. Please." A voice called out, pulling her out of her thoughts. She immediately jumped up, trying to find the source, until she found out that the voice was vibrating from all directions.

The Doctor's voice.

"... Doctor?" Olivia turned around and shouted. "DOCTOR!"

*****

"Doctor."

Everyone currently in the room immediately turned to look at Olivia. Mr and Ms Watson's eyes widened, jumping up from their seats. The Doctor frowned and turned at Joltea, who looked almost as surprised as him. She was taken aback as well.

Joltea should've been able to know everything that happened and will happen. But this was just beyond her grasp. Ever since Olivia was miraculously brought back to life by the Visionary, everything about the middle schooler was impossible.

She was certainly an impossible girl. She had, no doubt, definitely surprised them from time to time. But this... this was a whole new level of impossible.

She's stuck in a coma, so how could she be... talking?

"Joltea." Olivia repeated for the second time even though her eyelids were still closed and her brain waves on the monitor hadn't changed. She was actually talking!

"She's calling for Dr Miller!" Ms Watson said, reaching for the 'call' button above her patient bed.

Joltea stopped her from calling. This was far beyond humans' capability to understand. "We can't call her." She told Mr and Ms Watson. "Dr Miller would think we've gone crazy. What are we going to say anyway?"

Even she didn't understand the situation herself. "No, she's calling for us." She said, clearing her throat.

This time, the Time Lord seemed to snap out of his shock and come to Olivia's side.