Chapter 19

Author's Note

How do you like the book so far? This chapter is more like a prologue to the upcoming chapters. Votes and comments are appreciated ✨

*****

Chapter 19 - The Cloister Bells Are Ringing

Joltea followed the Doctor into an underground tunnel beneath the planet Barcelona. He said that this tunnel was a shortcut back to the Tardis. "This place smells gross," she said, looking around and finding garbage and rubbish lying everywhere.

"Doctor, I don't think we should go in here." She said as they passed by a 'NO ENTERING' sign.

"Oh, come on! It's just an tunnel, there's hardly anything dangerous about it." The Doctor stated, rolling his eyes while they walked through the muddy waters.

Suddenly, a laser shot from behind them like an electric bolt. The Time Lords immediately turned behind them to find more lasers aimed at them. They ducked in the nick of time, the laser shots almost hitting them a couple of times. Then their vision started to clear, and they saw a group of robots in metallic armor charging towards them.

"DELETE! DELETE!" The robotic voice echoed through the underground tunnel.

"Cybermen," the Doctor said, letting out a deep breath. "But we're not compatible. We're not humans." He tried to reason with them.

"The Cybermen have upgraded. We improved. Any living organism is compatible." One of the Cyberman said, moving forward towards the two of them, his cold robotic voice sending chills down their spine.

The Doctor looked to Joltea. There was only one other choice now. "RUN!" They shouted at the same time as they took off.

They managed to misdirect the Cybermen and eventually ran far enough to get away from them. They hid in a dark corner, panting and gasping for air as they became breathless from the long run. Joltea sighed, shaking her head.

"You stubborn idiot!" She slapped the Doctor in the face after catching a breath, glaring at him.

"Ow! What was that for?" He asked, clearly offended. "How was I supposed to know there were Cybermen in Barcelona?"

"I see the future, remember? I know you're used to being the smartest in the room, but word of advice: Always listen to the Visionary!" She scoffed. "... Now DUCK!"

He looked confused for a brief moment, before ducking just in time as a Cyberman approached behind him and fired a laser shot. "You will be deleted." Joltea pulled out a gun from her pocket and shot the Cyberman right in the chest.

The bullet was so strong it pierced through the armor, causing the Cyberman to drop to the ground in seconds. She smiled victoriously. Her visions were useful at times.

"Where did you get a gun from?!" The Doctor questioned.

"Your welcome for saving your life from an emotionless robot psycho," Joltea grinned, putting the gun back in her pocket.

*****

The Doctor bought Joltea an ice cream before they headed back to the Tardis. Sort of as a 'thank you' for saving his Time Lord ass, she supposed. The Visionary licked the vanilla ice cream cone in her hand. They talked about the adventures they had after the Time War.

"I went to the End of the World. It was me and Rose's first trip together. We snuck into a ship and watched the Sun expand. Things went wrong though and we almost got burnt to death."

"Interesting... choice for a first date." Joltea tried to hide her laughter. Typical Doctor.

"I once went to this entire planet once where everything was made out of candy! The houses were made out of gingerbread and the grass smelt like cotton candy. You should've seen it, it looked like it came from a picture you'd see in a fairytale book."

"Never been there before. We can go there next," the Doctor grinned, opening the Tardis doors.

"We can do that after I finish my ice cream." She said, sitting down on the pilot chair. She clearly had her priorities set straight.

Suddenly, bells started ringing in their ears. It echoed throughout the Tardis.

"The Cloister bells are ringing," the Doctor's eyes widened as it continued to chime. He turned towards Joltea, but she only gave him a plain expression.

She tried to hide her panic as she knew what was coming. As always. And she was scared. Because this means that her death is nearing, and her time is ending soon.

At the same time, the Tardis telephone started ringing as well. The Doctor immediately picked it up, knowing that the caller probably had something to do with the reason the Cloister bells rung.

"Hello?" He asked as the phone continued buzzing.

"Doctor, Joltea... We need your help. Earth needs your help."

*****

Olivia Watson woke up to the ringing of her alarm clock, tidied up her bed, brushed her teeth, showered, changed into school uniform and headed downstairs for breakfast. Just like any other ordinary day.

Her parents were already off to work, so she'd have to walk to school. They left a bowl of cereal on the table with a carton of milk beside it. She sat on a seat and poured the milk into the bowl, taking a mouthful of the cereal.

It's been a week since the Doctor and Joltea had bid their farewells, and their parents were starting to accept their daughter was part alien now. They loved their daughter, alien or not.

Her power was becoming stronger, a little day by day. The visions come to her during her dreams, mostly dreams of her family and friends, but sometimes there were visions of strangers too. She hadn't had any visions of aliens or inhuman species from other planets — not yet, at least.

Although today, she had a dream. The most terrifying dream she ever had. A dream of robot-looking creatures walking through the streets of London. There wasn't much and the dream was short, but it was enough to scare the life out of her. Those cruel robots...

Olivia didn't know the name of their species, or if they even had a name at all. But she still remembers the people's terrified screams and shrieks as the robots marched, like groups of soldiers prepared and ready for battle.

They looked at their surroundings and immediately shot anyone they saw with their lasers. Children, adults, and elderly alike. They were on a bloody murder streak, killing everyone on sight. Those creatures had no mercy, not a single spark of kindness in their souls. If they even had a soul at all.

The streets became quiet after only a few minutes, because everyone else were dead. The lifeless bodies were scattered, littered down the empty road like a piece of worthless garbage. It didn't even take any amount of effort for those robots to kill everyone.

Then, they proceeded to burn all the discarded houses and buildings to the ground with their laser beams, as if killing everyone wasn't enough already. What was worst, is that Olivia knew this wasn't just a mere dream, it was real — and it was going to happen in a not-so-distant future.

And there was only one word the heartless robots said, the one word they kept repeating over and over again like it was the only word in their vocabulary, the one word that was sent shivers down the middle schooler's spine.

".... EXTERMINATE!"