Chapter 2

Author's Note

I tried to create an original middle school name 😅 And also Olivia is finally introduced! Hope you like it and sorry for short chapter

*****

Chapter 2 - The Mysteries of Redford

Olivia stood in the middle of the empty and discarded classroom, looking at her. She always appeared in the beginning of every dream following the past week, the same woman from her last dream as well... that specific woman.

Even though it wasn't her first time meeting her in the dream, she somehow still couldn't remember the person's face nor her name, or if she even told her name... but she looked familiar. She just can't quite place her finger on it.

"Hello, Olivia Watson." The woman waved towards her from a distance, smiling. "How are you doing today?"

Olivia chuckled slightly. "Well, considering I've been having crazy visions for the past week and you're constantly popping up in my dreams, I'd say I'm at the brink of getting admitted into a mental hospital."

"I assure you, you're not crazy." The woman replied.

She glanced at her. "Remind me, who are you again?" And then after that, Olivia remembered a faint memory of the woman's mouth moving up and down, muttering a soft reply, but she couldn't remember what she said.

She couldn't remember.

She jolted up from bed and woke up from the dream. She blinked her eyes, looking at her surrounding to find herself in her bedroom. She let out a sigh and drifted back into sleep.

*****

Olivia Watson walked through the school halls, her footsteps getting faster and faster. Students of Redford Middle School had all dashed out of their classrooms the second the bell rung for lunch break, making way towards the school canteen.

Students swarmed through the hallways, giggles and laughter heard among the busy crowd. A few teachers were among the group as well, scrolling through their phones or chatting with other teachers.

Instead of heading to the canteen with the rest, she sat in the library like she does every lunch. But today, it's somehow different. She doesn't know how, she doesn't know why — but deep inside her heart, she felt like something else was going around in Redford Middle School. Something hidden away under the shadows.

She doesn't even know how to explain it. She would sound absolutely mad if she told them about of the disturbing 'visions' that had suddenly appeared in her dreams for the past week. Her vivid imagination was certainly running wild.

... Who'd believe her anyway?

Still in thought, she pushed the grand doors open, the majestic library coming into view. Stacks of books piling on top of each other, from comic books to magazines to journals to novels — it contained every source and every mount of information she required.

But somehow no one was there, no one else but her and the lonely librarian, who stood behind the counter. The librarian wore a vibrant yellow t-shirt and grey trousers. His face immediately lit up with delight when he glanced up to see her entering the room.

Must be boring staying there by herself all day, and he expected Olivia's arrival anyway. He knew the middle schooler came every day at around 12 when everyone had went for lunch break.

"Hey, Livia! What can I get for you today?" The librarian grinned, tapping his fingers on the counter. "Fiction? Horror? Drama?... How about something new? Maybe romance?"

"Not today," Olivia said as she put her bag down and took out her blue plastic lunch box, finding herself a seat in the corner. "I was wondering if you had a book about Redford's school history?"

"That's a bit out of your usual," the librarian said as he turned the computer on the counter on and typed a few words on it. "But nothing I can't do. Just hold on a second..." He squinted at the tiny numbers that popped up on the screen.

"Ah! Here it is," He got off from  behind the counter and went towards a shelf filled with books and magazines. He pulled out a thick book that was coated with layers of dust. The librarian then pointed at the bold italic letters that plastered across the front cover of the book.

"The Complete History of Redford", Olivia read the title aloud. She shot a look of gratitude at him. "Thanks."

"No problem." He shrugged as he went back to the counter. She walked to the seat, still holding the heavy book in het hands. She scanned through the index as she ate her lunch. It was her mum's famously carbonara pasta.

As she sat in the dark corners of the room eating by herself, Olivia didn't feel any sense of loneliness. No, in fact, she felt free. She didn't mind when other students chatted and giggled after school. Nor did she feel lonely or feel left out. And she defined didn't care that she never once thought to participate in hangouts and sleepovers.

... and she'll continue telling that to herself for the rest of her life.

"ROXY!" Flashes of her as a 7-year-old passed before her mind. That screeching sound of that idiotic-looking pink bike breaking into a stop, the shrieking sound of Roxy as she tried to run but failed ultimately, and the blood.

The puddle of bright red blood.

She shook her head, getting rid of the unexplainable feeling crawling into her throat. Stupid emotions, she frowned.

She stared into nowhere for a long 5 minutes, and then the delicious smell of pasta filled her nostrils, bringing her back to her senses. She rubbed her eyes, flipping to the first page as her eyes skimmed through the lines of words.