Sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ Hᴇᴀᴛ (3)

______________________________________

Dakota walked out on the beach with a slight stumble and a drink in his hand. He partied with a few friends that were on the beach and had a lot more to drink. He was coming up to another group of people as he stopped. He plopped down and looked out to the water.

He sat there for awhile before he sighed and leaned his head on his knees.

"Dakota ?" He looks up to see River coming towards him. "The hell are you doing out here. Where's Liz ?"

"I don't know. Back at the house." He slurs as he takes another sip of his drink.

"You look terrible." She chuckles

"Thanks because that's exactly what I needed." He says sarcastically. River sighs as she sits by him.

"What's up ?"

He shrugs, "Nothing."

"It's something because you usually have a better comeback than that."

"Don't you hate me ? Since when did you start caring ?"

"Okay, asshole." River says, "I'm asking because you look like you could kill yourself. But excuse me for actually being nice to you for once."

It's silent for a little while before Dakota sighs, "My mom showed up." River frowns. "With my dad." He finishes as he takes a sip of his drink.

"Oh." River mutters. She knew the animosity between the twins and their dad because of Liz crying to her about it a couple of summers ago. She also knew that there was a greater animosity with Dakota and his dad.

"I mean. He just shows up and expects everything to be okay." He scoffs. "Like he just thinks he can come in and out whenever it's convenient for him."

River stays quiet. "He's been gone for years. Barely texts or calls. Doesn't even send a birthday card sometimes, but he shows up here and just expects us to be happy about it." He shakes his head as he looks down at the sand.

"Maybe your mom thought that you guys could talk. Maybe work through it." River tries. Dakota chuckles as he looks back up.

"My sister cried in my arms for hours," He pauses, "because of him. She waited for hours for him to come pick us up. She was talking about it for a week before and she woke up early as hell just to wait for him."

River watched as he took another sip of his drinking downing the rest. "And he never showed up. Didn't even give a reason why, just said he'd make it up to us." He finishes as he makes air quotes.

"And it wasn't the first time, but something that day was different. I knew from that day on, I'd never forgive him. For anything." He shakes his head as he looks at River who already has her eyes on him. "Not to mention all the shit he's said to me, but none of that even matters."

He sniffles as he looks back out to the water. River watches with sad eyes. "I mean he can't just," he says as the tears start to fall, "walk back in whenever. I'm not gonna let him hurt us again."

River pulls him in by his shoulder. He lets her as he lays his head in the crook of her neck. He cries harder as she wraps her arms around him.

"I'm not gonna let him hurt her again." He cries

"Shh, it's okay." She whispers as his shoulders shake when he cries harder.

______________________________________

Liz leaned on the ledge watching the fireworks as she heard footsteps behind her. She looked down at her hands as they stood next to her.

"Did you find Dakota ?" Conrad asks

"No, but River said that he's with her so," She shrugs

"River ?" He frowns as Liz hums in agreement. "The same girl who wanted to murder him for spilling his drink on her at that party a couple of summers ago ?"

Liz chuckles as she nods. Conrad smiles, "I told you he'd be okay."

"I'm still worried about him. You know, with my dad showing up and everything." She sighs as she looks at the fireworks.

"I'm sure he's worried, too. That's the one thing I envy about you guys. How you look out for each other." Conrad mutters. Liz tilts her head slightly as she looks back down. There's a comfortable silence that falls over them as Liz looks out at the water.

"You're a very special person, Liz." He starts as she looks up, "I hope you know that."

Liz furrows her brows, "Where did that come from ? What does that mean ?"

"Just.." He pauses as he looks her in her eyes, "You don't know the effect you have on people."

Her eyes soften as she looks away, "I don't know what you're talking about." She says softly

"You do. You know you do." He says as he moves his head to catch her eyes. She looks up at him as he keeps eye contact. They continue looking at each other as Conrad looks down at her lips. Liz slowly starts to lean in.

"Yo, Liz !" Dakota shouts. She jumps as she looks towards the pool. River holding him by his arm to keep him still, but she struggles.

"Dakota, what the hell are you doing ?" She shouts

"I'm," He pauses. He looks to the pool, "I'm gonna jump in the pool."

"Dakota. No !" River yells as she pulls at his arm when he starts to take his shirt off.

Conrad chuckles as Liz sighs deeply. "God damn it, Dakota." She mutters as she makes her way down the dock. Conrad not too far behind her.

______________________________________