Sᴜᴍᴍᴇʀ Lᴏᴠᴇ

______________________________________

Dakota sighed shakily as he stood at River's door. He had a bouquet of flowers at his side as he shook his arms out.

"Okay. Okay. You got this, bro. You got this." He mutters to himself. He rings the doorbell as he backs away from the door. He stands there for what felt like forever for him. The door finally swings open to reveal River. She frowns as she steps outside.

"Dakota ?" She says as she closes the door, "What are you doing here ?"

He sighs, "River." She hums as she looks up at him, "I really, really like you."

He pauses as he watches her eyebrows raise, "And I know there's the whole thing with Liz being my sister and your best friend, but I can't keep pretending like I hate you." He says as he shakes his head. "I don't want to hate you." He says softly.

River's face softens as he continues, "The other night at the beach when you helped me through what happened with my dad and," He pauses, "and you sat there and listened for however long I needed you to. I've never experienced that before."

"I'm surprised you remember that." She chuckles

"Of course I do. Even though I don't act like it, I remember everything when it comes to you. Everything." He emphasizes as he steps closer. "And I wanna keep remembering everything with you."

River smiles, "I don't know if that makes sense, but what I'm trying to say," He says as he exhales, "Is that I like you a lot and I hate hating you."

River looks down at her hands as it goes silent. She knew he was internally freaking out, but she took the time anyway. She looks up as she notices his breathing is a little bit faster.

"I really need you to say something because I'm freaking the fuck out right now." He rambles. He watches as she starts laughing and his heart starts racing, but this time differently.

"I like you too, Dakota." She says as Dakota sighs in relief.

"Oh thank god." River laughs as he puts his hands on his knees. He jumps up, "Oh, uh, these are for you." He says as he hands her the flowers. "I was wondering if you'd let me be your date to the deb ball."

River takes the flowers as he swings his hands back and forth. She looks at him for awhile as he gets nervous again. She smiles, "Yeah, I'll go."

"Okay. Great." He nods, "You've gotta stop doing the suspense thing. It's not cool."

"I like making you nervous." She says. His eyebrows raise as she smiles. He looks away as he blows out air. A smile taking over his face as she laughs.

______________________________________

Liz walked into the kitchen where Conrad, Belly, and Jeremiah were. Conrad turned as he heard her footsteps. "Hey, good morning. I, um... I picked up some of those good muffins." He says quickly as he turns to Liz

"I'm good. Thanks, though." She says as she sits at the island

"Okay." He nods

"Oh, Belly, you should get going." Susannah says, "Oh, and everyone, stay out of the family room. I've done all your paintings and tonight after the ball, we'll have a big unveiling." She smiles. "Uh, can you put that in Laurel's car, honey ?" She says as she hands Jeremiah the dress.

"Yeah. Yeah."

"Hurry, hurry." Susannah says as she hands Belly her shoes.

"Yeah, aren't-aren't you driving me ?" Belly turns to Laurel

"I'm going over with Susannah, so I thought maybe you could drive yourself."

"Seriously ?" Belly chuckles

"It's only a few blocks." Laurel says as she holds up the keys, "Unless you don't want to ?"

"Yes, yes. Yes." Belly chuckles as she hurries to take the keys

"Drive slow, obey the lights, wait four seconds at each stop sign." Laurel says

"I know, I know." Belly says as she rushes outside.

"We'll see you at the club in a few hours." Susannah calls out

"Yep."

Liz hears the door close as she goes to walk upstairs. "Hey."

"Yeah." She says as she turns to Conrad

"Um, I was just wondering if you'd thought about the date thing." Liz looks down, "Just wanted to know if we're going together."

"I think it's better if we go separately." She nods. He blinks quickly as he nods.

"Yeah. Yeah, okay. No worries." He chuckles. She gives a quick smile before she heads upstairs. He watches her walk up before he goes back into the kitchen.

Liz just barely made it to her room before she hears rapid footsteps. She frowns as she steps back into the hallway.

"Liz ! Liz ! Liz !" Dakota yells as he rushes upstairs.

"What ?" She yells back. He finally stopped in front of her.

"She said yes."

Her eyes widen, "River ?"

"Yes !" He nods frantically

"Yes ! Oh my god." She smiles, "I knew she would."

"I was so fucking nervous dude." She laughs as he rambles, "But she said yeah and that she felt the same way."

"See ? I told you."

"It's not gonna be weird right ?"

Liz frowns as Dakota decides to continue, "You know the whole your best friend is dating your brother."

"Oh. No, I don't care." She waves him off.

"Okay." He smiles

"Yeah, we're 18 Dakota. I just want you guys to be happy is all." She shrugs

"Ew don't get all lovey dovey." He cringes as he walks away.

"What ?" Liz scoffs, "You literally just confessed your love to someone." She calls after him

"Whatever." He says as Liz stands there confused.

"Wha-" She mutters before she shakes her head and goes into her room.

______________________________________