Lᴏᴠᴇ Lᴏsᴛ (2)

______________________________________

"They say... that everything happens for a reason. Now, who "they" are, exactly, is unclear. Maybe a theologian coined it." Steven says as he gives his speech. The crowd laughs as Steven smiles. Taylor, Belly, Dakota, and Liz all sat by each other with their parents on their side.

"Or, I don't know, whoever configured the simulation we're clearly living in. Maybe it was Rihanna." Dakota chuckles as Liz smiles lightly.

"No, no, Rihanna can do no wrong. It was definitely not her." He shakes his head. "But we've heard it time and time again. It's supposed to convince us, you know, that everything had to happen exactly so, in order to teach us something about ourselves, in order for us to grow and meet our destiny."

He chuckles, "I think that's BS. I'm sorry, Mom, sorry." He says immediately. "You know, breakups don't always lead to breakthroughs. Sometimes a girl dumps you after an awesome summer, and it sucks. And you learn nothing from it." Liz's face falls as she listens. Dakota looks over at her.

"But you eventually force yourself to move on anyways. But then the unthinkable happens, and you realize it's pointless to think of life that way."

______________________________________

"Liz."

She stops as she passes Laurel's writing room. She walks back and sees Susannah sitting on the couch.

"Hey, I never see you in here." She smiles

"Laurel assigned me this room to clean. It's the easiest, since I don't think she set foot in here once to do any writing this summer." She chuckles

"Don't you hire cleaners anyway ?"

"Shh." Susannah says as she lifts her finger to her lips. Liz smiles as she sits next to her. Susannah watches as she plays with her bracelet.

"I love that bracelet on you." She says as she reaches for it. "Connie told me everything that happened with the two of you."

Liz looks down, "I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry." She shakes her head

"It's not how I wanted the summer to end. Especially not..." She trails off. "I just feel like I'm losing everyone."

"You're not. It just takes time. You'll find your way back to each other eventually. And this place is always here for you."

"Yeah, but you've made every summer here so magical, Susannah. I mean, what happens," She stops, "what happens..."

"Liz, you love this place the same way I do. If anyone can keep the magic going here, it's you. You're my special girl." She says as tears fill her eyes. Liz smiles sadly. Susannah starts to stand. "I need to call the cleaners."