022. bugs and hugs

— 022

— 022. bed bugs and hugs —

THE REST OF THE DAY was a bit awkward at the beach house so to say dylan was relieved when it was time for bed would be an understatement. she had brushed her teeth before she made her way to her room which looked almost frozen in time.

it was the same as when susannah last cleaned it the day she left. one pillow leaning slightly to the right, her curtains freshly washed and closed, and lastly, donlad sitting on the bed, susannah being the last one to touch him.

she sighed as she dressed in her pajamas which were a whale watchers shirt and some gray shorts. she then huffed as she realized it was cams shirt. she shoved that weird feeling in her throat down as she grabbed another blanket from the closet and draped it on the floor, taking a pillow that sat on her bay window to use.

as she began to lay down she heard a soft knock on the door. she then slowly opened it as she saw conrad standing outside the door. "hey connie you ok?" she asks as he nods but then hesitated before he shook his head no.

"come in." she says as she opened the door wider. conrad then came in looking confusedly at the ground as dylan let out a soft chuckle. "i don't wanna mess up the bed. susannah was the- she was the last one to make it." dylan says as tears wells in her eyes.

conrad then engulfs her into a hug as he wipes the fallen tears and speaks up. "i couldn't sleep either. she's everywhere." he says as dylan takes a seat. "you could sleep on the floor with me, let's just hope there's no bugs." dylan jokes as conrad laughs.

he then goes over to the closet and grabs another blanket as he shuts off the light and lays next to dylan with some space between the two. "you think we should invite donlad to our sleepover?" conrad asks as dylan smiles.

"yeah." she mutters as she gently grabs the stuffed koala being careful not to mess up the bed. she then placed the stuffed animal between her and her older brother figure as they lay in silence.

dylan couldn't remember when she had fallen asleep but when she woke up conrad wasn't there. his blanket as neatly folded and laced on her bay window and donlad was right next to her.

she then yawned as she went to brush her teeth and wash her face before she went downstairs to find belly and jere standing there as conrad hung up the phone. she then pranced her way in as conrad mentioned how aunt julia had already flown in.

jere kept being backhanded to his older brother so to cut the awkwardness she spoke up. "who wants... cinnamon rolls?" she asked as she searched the pantry. "i do." conrad mumbles as he walks out of the kitchen.

"well cinnamon rolls it is." she says as she gets out a mixing bowl. "uh, save some for us. we'll be back." jeremiah says. "so now y'all are hatching secret plans without me?" dylan asks offended as jere begins to explain.

"i'm just kidding. i don't give a fuck, but you better hope there's some left by the time you get back." dylan says as the two walk out. she then begins to pour the flour as a bit gets on her face.

she the smiled to herself, remembering one of the only times she had laughed and smiled while susannah was sick. it was a snowy day in december, a week or two before christmas. she had convinced her mom to let cam sleepover, to which laurel agreed.

dylan waited for hours until she saw his car pulling in the driveway. she had no shoes on and was only wearing a large tee and some shorts as she ran out into the snow and into his arms. cam engulfed her in a hug as he lifted her up, her legs wrapped around his waist to make sure her feet didn't touch the cold snow.

"dylan where are your shoes?" he asks with a laugh as he carried her into the house. "shoes were the least of my worries." she says as she jumps down from his arms. cam then politely greeted laurel who sat in the living room writing her book as they made their way to dylan's room.

as they say on the bed dylan instantly began smiling from ear to ear. "why are you cheesing so hard?" cam asks with a smile. "i don't know." she says as she hides her face. "i missed you." cam says softly. "we talked yesterday." dylan says as cam rolls his eyes.

"i mean i missed kissing you, being with you." he says as dylan's face burns red. "stop doing that." dylan says as cam smiles. "doing what? making you turn into a tomat-." he begins as dylan cuts him off with her soft lips touching his.

he deepened the kiss slightly as they fell back on her bed. it took dylan a few minutes to realize where it was going so as she did she spoke up. "cinnamon rolls." she blurts out as cam places light kisses on her neck.

"cinnamon rolls?" he asks confused as they sit up. "i mean we should make cinnamon rolls." she says, making up a lie. "do you even know how to bak-." cam begins as he's cut off with dylan's lips once more.

but this time it's a short peck as she rushes down the steps. as cam walks down after her, he sees her in the kitchen with all the ingredients out. they began to bake as cam constantly laughed at dylan's concentrated face which made her mad.

"it's not funny cam!" she whined as she rolled her eyes. "i think you'll look even cuter with a bit of flour right... here." cam says as he swipes some flour on dylan's cheek. "cameron!" she says as she wipes it off.

she then tries to get some on his face as he gently grabs her hand before pulling her into a kiss by her lower back. she smiled so much that day, slept so well that night. but now she felt like she messed it all up.

she felt like she took away her own happiness.

n,
more flashbacks 😍🙈