DireWolves

He was the elder brother of the goblin who talked with me when we first met in the jungle. It seems he was a great warrior who died fighting for his village.

Even though this anomaly was caused by me, I couldn't simply help them without consideration. This world didn't operate like that. It was always survival of the fittest, or in this case, the strongest. I had to ensure that any assistance provided would be an equal exchange, benefiting both parties; otherwise, this situation would continue to occur more frequently in the future.

"I have one question for you, Elder. What will I receive for saving your village? What can you offer me?"

I mean, sure, I could help them on a whim, but I need to uphold the natural order as well.

"Your mightiness, We would pledge our loyalty to you!"

This is a familiar feeling. Just like when my Kouhais used to ask me for help.

"Elder, do you understand the weight of the words you just spoke?"

"Yes, Your mightiness. I do."

Good, no hesitation. I wouldn't help someone trying to take advantage of me, but if it's for someone trying to protect their family and home, I would gladly help them. In the end, I always gave in to honest requests.

Awooooooo~

Just then, I heard the haunting howl of a wolf, and immediately after that, the cries of terrified goblins filled the air.

Some were sobbing as they clutched their children and loved ones tightly, while others scrambled desperately to escape the encroaching danger. The once peaceful village had descended into chaotic panic.

The Elder, witnessing the chaos, attempted to calm down the villagers, but his feeble voice failed to reach all of them. His head hung low on his malnourished body as he observed the pandemonium. He must have been thinking, 'Do we truly matter to him? Are we nothing more than a burden?' But my decision had already been made when he requested my help. I just needed a pretext.

"There is nothing to fear."

As I uttered those words with a solemn and commanding voice, all their eyes turned toward me.

"They will soon vanish."

"...m-meaning..."

The Goblin Elder spoke to me in a surprised and shaky voice, clearly taken aback by my willingness to help. Perhaps he hadn't expected anyone to genuinely come to their aid. I looked at him and replied,

"Yes, your request shall be granted, in the stead of the Storm Dragon Veldora, by me, Rimuru Tempest!"

The moment those words left my lips, all the goblins immediately dropped to the ground in the dogeza position in front of me.

"Please grant us your protection! And from this day forth, we shall ever be your faithful servants!"

'Sorry about this, Hiiro. I agreed to their request without asking for your opinion.'

I apologized to Hiiro, who had quietly remained behind me from the beginning. Our conversation went unnoticed by the others. He replied promptly, dispelling any doubts.

'...I will stand with you, no matter the path you choose.'

'Thanks. Let's protect this place together.'

'..Understood.'

While he appeared reserved around others, I knew deep down he possessed a kind heart. I had no doubt that he would have extended the same help if the situation were reversed. It was heartening to have such a dependable companion by my side, especially in times like these.