Awakening

"And the weak don't get to wallow in self-pity or any of those emotions for that matter. Do you understand?"

It felt like I was lecturing a kid after she did something bad, but this was long overdue. I needed her to be in top form if she was going to guard Hiiro in his vulnerable state as I couldn't be with him all the time.

"...Yes."

She meekly replied.

"If you truly wish to feel guilt, regret, or any of that, first become strong enough to be worthy of it, to make him depend on you."

She looked at me with a surprised expression, as if she hadn't expected that response. Then, I softened my voice and offered words filled with emotion in contrast to the previous harsh tone. I was using the carrot and the stick method, and it was time for the carrot.

"However, it's important to judge the situation properly as well. If you had gone in to help him recklessly and he were to harm you because he went out of control, how do you think he would feel, even if you had successfully rescued him?"

As if finally thinking straight, her eyes seemingly filled with darkness began to clear up

"Even though he puts on a tough act, that guy's as delicate as a flower or fragile as glass – a gentle touch could shatter him.. So, Consider your actions carefully. I'm not telling you this just for your or his sake but for mine too because, in the end, he's my little brother, and I don't want to see him get hurt."

I held my silence, waiting patiently for her response.

I didn't have to wait for long.

She took a moment, as if digesting my words, closed her eyes, and then bowed before me."

"..Forgive me, Lord Rimuru, for showing this shameful and pathetic side of mine to you until now. And Thank you for your words. "

Her voice had returned somewhat. I'd done all I could, and now it was up to her.

If this attempt hadn't worked, and she hadn't conquered her inner demons, I would have had no choice but to cut her loose. She'd become more of a liability in that state.

Harsh? Yes.

But necessary.

My little brother's safety was at stake, and I couldn't afford to rely on her if she wasn't up to the task.

However, it seems that won't be necessary.

Although she hadn't fully recovered, her state of mind was now suitable for me to leave Hiiro in her care.

And the person who could help her make a complete recovery would, hopefully, wake up soon as well.

"As long as you understand, I don't mind."

"Thank you, Lord Rimuru. I will devote everything to get stronger and make sure I am able to stay by Sir Hiiro's side and not behind him."

Hmm...

Why do I sense another motive behind her words?

Oh, I see it now. She meant it that way.

Quite bold, isn't she?

She's not trying to hide it anymore. To anyone dense enough not to notice, she means standing beside him as his partner. The only issue might be their species, but I'm sure that won't be a problem in the future as his skills evolve further, allowing him to change his form as he wishes."

"..Very well."

Hmm. Come to think of it, isn't she the only person in the whole village who hasn't received anything from me? Others at least got a name, which was more or less good enough, but she hasn't gotten anything.

Is there any way I can help her?

<Answer: You can give her a Title.>

Ah, a title, huh? But what's a good title for her? Well, my first impression of her is that of someone using shadow manipulation.

Wait! How about I use his name?

There was a certain show in my world that gained a lot of attention because of the cool characters, but the protagonist was on another level. He had a nickname that not only perfectly embodied his character and personality but also struck fear into his enemies: 'The Shadow.'

I've always wanted to try this.

Hehe

Let's give it a shot, shall we..

"I may not have much to offer, and I understand that your loyalty lies primarily with Hiiro, but nonetheless, you are under my protection."

I deliberately projected my aura to create a solemn atmosphere, and in response, Hikari remained silent, gracefully kneeling before me. Their innate understanding, that sixth sense, was truly appreciated; there was no need for words to convey expectations.

But let's return to the matter at hand.