Foreboding

Their innate understanding, that sixth sense, was truly appreciated; there was no need for words to convey expectations.

"To you, Hikari, who has always stood unwaveringly by my close friend and brother, Hiiro, in his moments of need, and shall always protect him from any danger that may harm him, I, Rimuru Tempest, grant thee the title of 'The Shadow.' May you be like his very shadow, always there to shield him from the darkness that tries to get in his way"

As these words left my lips, I felt an astounding surge of magicules leaving my body. Hikari herself began to sway, and soon, a cocoon formed from darkness, like threads, started enveloping her entire body.

It was just like what happened with Hiiro in Veldora's cave, but this time it was more violent, more powerful, as her energy and aura increased by leaps and bounds, incomparable and surpassing anything I had ever witnessed.

Oh, boy! Why do I get this sense of foreboding from the situation?

And Indeed, There was a reason, and a very big one at that, which made me feel that way.

And why was that? Because I felt utterly drained at this moment. I could've brushed it off as fatigue from a long day's work, but that was impossible, considering I hadn't even lifted a single brick. Even if I had worked though, I was confident I could last for at least a few weeks without a moment's rest.

So, why was I suddenly feeling tired, when all I did was grant a title? The answer lay in my dangerously depleted magicule levels. Now, having experienced it firsthand, I could detect the depletion without even checking.

But the real questions were: how much had I lost, and why?

It shouldn't have been that much, I mean, it was a single person, right? Great Sage...

<Answer: Individual Rimuru has thirty percent left from his overall Magicule Capacity.>

So, thirty percent left...

Hmm..

!?

Huh? Left? Not used, but you mean left after everything else being used, that left?

<Answer: That is correct.>

...Well, I'll be damned.

It took seventy percent of my magicule capacity to give a title, not a name but a title, to just a single individual. I mean, is that even possible?

And more importantly, what kind of monster is going to come out from that cocoon?

But how come this title took so much magicule, though?

<Answer: That was because of Individual Rimuru's desire to help her. If you've wanted and made it clear, you could have just given her a title without expending any magicules, but your desire to help and her desire and resolve to grow stronger made a very powerful factor that used an enormous amount of magicules for her desired evolution.>

Hmm. So basically, I was very reckless and hasty without properly thinking too much about a matter I didn't have much knowledge about, which could've ended with me falling asleep for another three days without any warning, is that correct?

<Answer: Your assumption is very accurate.>

'....'

Come on, really. At least, Deny it.

<Answer: You are incorrect.>

Sigh~

Nevermind. It was my fault for asking.

'But couldn't you have warned me about this beforehand, Great Sage?'

<Answer: Individual Rimuru didn't ask, and Skill Great Sage can't be held responsible for your oversight.>

Ouch!

Damn...

It seems I have truly angered Great Sage Sensei this time.

But please make sure this doesn't happen in the future. I can't have my magicules depleting by just granting a title.

<Answer: ...Understood.>

Anyways..

I was thinking about it more sarcastically, but it seems the content was more or less correct from the way Great Sage was agreeing wholeheartedly earlier.

But, jokes aside, this was undeniably a dangerous situation. If I were the same person who named Rigurd and the others at the very beginning, I would've collapsed on the spot right now, and then some. No Doubt.

Each time I approach the brink of draining my magicule levels to near nothing, they not only recover but also become even richer and purer. Even on a typical day, I unconsciously absorb minuscule amounts without a second thought.

So, you can probably imagine just how much magicule she siphoned from me. If you can't, let me put it in the simplest terms: granting her a title consumed more magicule than naming the entire population of the village at the time, which is to say, almost few hundred goblins.

Like, damn!

How powerful does she really want to become, anyway? My gut feeling tells me she's going to be on par with me from now on. She's completely outstripped the one she was so focused on protecting when it comes to power rankings.

I'm really curious to see the ranking of the village now. Great Sage, can you tell me how powerful the individuals in our village are, taking Veldora as the standard?