The Mind & The Heart

Then, Great Sage urgently sounded a warning, seemingly concerned that Hiiro might be oblivious to the situation.

<Warning! Individual Hiiro has reached his maximum allowable growth. Please exercise caution!>

Yes, it had finally occurred.

The fact that Hiiro, an ordinary, run-of-the-mill slime, had achieved such remarkable growth was itself an anomaly.

Unlike Rimuru, who had reincarnated into this world with multiple Unique Skills, Hiiro was a typical slime that you find at any dungeons or forests.

However, after encountering Rimuru and receiving a name from one of the True Dragons in this world, he had managed to awaken his consciousness – a feat so extraordinary that it was virtually unheard of and rarely, if ever, attempted.

Yet Hiiro had overcome these challenges, pushing himself to new heights.

But now, he had finally reached his limit.

There was no way for him to grow any further in terms of overall Magicule capacity or the strength of his skills.

While he could continue to learn new techniques, skills, and further improve his control over them, which was going to be quite difficult on its own, his physical abilities and magical potential had now plateaued.

There was no way over it.

It was clear to him as well that he had come as far as he possibly could with his current body and species.

He cherished his desire to stay behind Rimuru's side, supporting him from the shadows, in the future, but he also recognized that their paths might soon diverge, for he lacked the strength now.

Rimuru was destined for greatness, and his growth would undoubtedly continue on an upward trajectory.

Even now, as Hiiro had reached his peak, he still couldn't truly fathom the unimaginable and true power that Rimuru, who had swallowed the True Dragon himself, possessed.

He was acutely aware that his place would soon be taken by someone stronger, and no matter how close he was to Rimuru or how attached he had become, he understood the practical and realistic nature of their situation.

Standing besides Rimuru's side required the strength to ensure that no enemy could approach him, and Hiiro had now hit his growth limit—a situation both rare and despairing for most monsters.

For many, this limit remained unattainable even in death, as they couldn't achieve such remarkable growth. When a being reached this point, it typically signified their place at the pinnacle of the food chain.

However, Hiiro was an exception—an insignificant member of the lowest species who had grown primarily due to his unwavering will to follow the being he admired.

He didn't succumb to despair but rather accepted the reality without regret.

He felt a profound amount of gratitude towards his own body, which had allowed and evolved enough to keep pace with Rimuru and bring him to this point in time.

Though he couldn't stand beside Rimuru as an equal, he found solace in knowing that someone more powerful than himself will soon be safeguarding Rimuru's back.

Nevertheless, the situation was taking a perilous turn.

While Hiiro had mentally accepted his fate, his emotions, undergoing development, were a different matter entirely.

Besides he himself was fooling himself by saying he had accepted it. Because deep inside him a storm was brewing.

The Sorrow and loneliness had taken root so deep inside him that it managed to make a unanticipated turmoil in his emotions, so huge, he was in verge of going berserk.

This situation happened so fast and unexpectedly, no one could have ever predicted this and the person in question soon started drown in darkness deep inside his mind.

What this meant for Hiiro and his future remained uncertain, but the outlook was far from favorable...