3: Sneak (Wrong Beginning AU)

Sooo, I decided on the name Wrong Beginning for the N/A AU in by AU book.  Since, ya know, the beginning didn't start correctly and everything ends up out of whack because of it.

So anyways, that's what AU this is apart of. 

— — —

Knocking jolted Sabre from his sleep, making him blink blearly up at the ceiling. "Catalyst?" A voice came from the other side of the door, followed by more knocking. "Sir?"

Sabre gazed up at the ceiling, taking a deep breath, before pushing himself up into a sitting position. "I'm up." His voice was rough, but loud enough to be heard from the other side.

He heard a relieved sigh. "Nightmare King is requesting you sir." The voice informed him.

Sabre cringed, realizing he might have slept in. The needle pricks still stung from last night, and Sabre was really hoping today wasn't another experiment day as he kicked off the blankets.

Sabre hopped out of his bed and quickly reached for his cloak that was laying across the desk he had. Sabre paused when he caught sight of his arms mid-reach. Right, he was still in his pajamas.

"Sir?" The voice from the other side of the door asked. "Did you fall back asleep?"

"No!" He yelped. "Tell Nightmare I'll be there in five, please." Sabre tugged his shirt off, grabbing for another hanging up in the closet blindly.

"...very well sir." Footsteps faded as the messenger walked away.

Sabre rushed around, tossing on his clothes as he went. Thankfully, he still had his chicken hoodie from the start. Sabre was a little attached to it by this point and really glad it hasn't been ripped yet.

Sabre nearly ran out the door, only to skid and slam into it when he tried to stop suddenly. His cloak!

Rushing back to the desk, he reached and grabbed it. It was sadly a dark gray color, giving him a more unwelcoming appearance than he would like. Sabre was however beginning to enjoy wearing it, so that was a plus.

After looking in the mirror, making sure none of his body was showing (he was clearly out of it, since he also forgot his gloves), he opened the door and quickly walked to the throne room.

Nightmare was standing there with Assistant and...huh. What were two guards and a Yellow Steve doing up there?

Sabre sped up. What is going on now?

"Catalyst!" Nightmare's voice boomed across the room, making him cringe.

Oh god oh god oh god please don't take his tardiness out on Assistant-

"You're here. Wonderful!" Sabre blinked. That was...not what he was expecting. "Come here!"

Without a choice, Sabre sped up the rest of the stairs, ignoring the very far drop, and took his spot next to Assistant. Sabres' gut curled when the Assistant gave him a sad look.

"Not over there!" Nightmare grumbled. "Come here." He snapped and pointed next to him.

Sabre winced, but forced a cheerful tone. "Sorry "'bout that!" He forced a laugh. "Just went on autopilot ya know?"

Nightmare huffed, before gesturing to the Yellow Steve by the guards. "Do you see this Steve?" Sabre gave a slow nod. "Well, remember when I said I caught those two meddling Orange Steves?"

Sabre's head snapped to Nightmare. "What!" He yelped, only to winced at Nightmare's narrowed eyes. "Not in a bad way!" Sabre waved his hands around as he lied. "I was just surprised. It was the two that knocked me out?"