20/21: Stalk and Guilt (Betrayal AU)

I combined the two, so here you go!

— — —

Light sighed softly to himself, letting his eyes wander around the area. Even with being Captain of the Colorless Guard, he wasn't above doing the basic tasks his men did.

Even with the Darkness gone, Light wasn't going to relax. He has learned early on to always expect a new villain to appear. It was just when and how.

So, that's how in the early morning, Light was patrolling around the Orange Kingdom. With the total destruction of the Rainbow Kingdom, all the colors split up again. Leaving Light and his guards spread thin as they tried to keep the peace.

Light scanned the area once more, listening closely for his friend. Animals chirped around them, as they scurried about.

Where was he?

Almost as if his thoughts were heard, lightning struck close by. Light couldn't help the smile, quickly leaving the path to his friend.

"Light?" He heard him call.

Light pushed his way through some bramble, revealing his friend. His hood was pulled up as he wore is cloak, disguising him from the world.

"Hey Apprentice." Light smiled.

Apprentice slipped off his hood, a small smile on his face. "Hey Light. You do know you can call me M even if we are alone, right?" Apprentice paused, his eyes giving him a once over. "Is everything alright? You look...tired."

From a distance, he could hear an animal shuffling around, leaves brushing up against one another as the animal moved. A stick snapped in the distance.

"I'm fine." Light fiddled with the handle of one of his knives strapped to his leg. "A lot has happened since we've last talked."

Apprentice hummed. "Really?" He asked. "Red Leader has been on me lately, especially with the Darkness, so I haven't had time to slip away and figure out what's new."

Light gave a dry chuckle. He met the Red Leader once. He could understand where the guy was coming from. If he could just take his friends and hide away from the world, Light would have. "He cares about you. We...everyone needs someone in their corner."

Apprentice's eyebrows furrowed. "I...I know, Light. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm doing my best."

Another stick snapped, slightly closer this time, drawing both their attention. Around them, the woods were silent. Apprentice punched him lightly in the shoulder, a quiet metal clack coming from his armor. "You want to walk and talk? You never wear your armor unless you're on patrol." Light nodded, and they began to walk.

"So?" Apprentice asked after a few minutes. "What's new? Anything about that one person?"

Sabre. M was always curious about the supposed Non-Steve he always heard about.

A Red Steve through and through. Always looking for knowledge.

Light fought the urge to freeze his emotions. It has only been a month, yet the guilt has yet to pass. The Leaders kept getting on him about the supposed unhealthy coping mechanism, so he was trying to lay off on the emotion freezing.

"Y-Yeah." Light spoke around the lump in his throat. "But uh, good news. The Darkness is gone."

Apprentice's head snapped towards him as he stopped, eyes wide. "What!" He exclaimed, a grin across his face. "That's amazing! Red Leader is going to- and maybe the Red Kingdom will- out of hiding maybe but Leader- It's just-" Apprentice's hands in constant motion as he started moving once more. "You did it Light!"