28: Awaken (Portal AU)

A continuation from Desire!

Do not expect medical accuracy in this. I'm a baker, not a gods be dang nurse or doctor, nor am I spending hours looking up medical things

— — —

Light held Sabre's hand in a loose grasp, watching the minor rise and fall of his chest. It was the only thing keeping Light sane, along with the heart monitor that beeped in the corner. Light was willing to grasp onto the few signs Sabre was alive and not let go.

The sheer fact Sabre was alive was baffling to all the Green Steves. There was too much damage done to his body at once for them to heal him, and usually that was it for any Steve.

Of course, 'usually' didn't mean 'all the time', which is why they had the medical equipment stored away. Light heard the whispers the Green Steves shared with one another. Even with the machines, it was a miracle Sabre pushed through the first month after the explosion.

The thought slammed into him like a runaway minecart. It's already been two months since the explosion.

Two months.

Light felt tears well up at that thought as he gripped Sabre's hand tighter. Two months of one of his best friends lying, struggling to even stay alive, all because none of them realizes Sabre wanted to go home!

A choked sob forced itself out of his throat as his head hung low. He didn't know why. It was night and the only Steve possible coming around was the Green Leader. Light knew for a fact the Green Leader had seen all of them cry at this point.

The heart monitor beeped on.

Beep.

...

Beep.

...

Beep.

Light took a shuddering breath, wiping his eyes with his free hand. He looked up, his neck twinging from the position change.

Sabre, like always, looked peaceful laying there, yet the medical equipment ruined the image. The IV drip, the heart monitor, the ventilator mask...

All of them clashed into that peaceful sleeping image and shattered it to pieces.

The one good thing Light could say was that Sabre didn't look to be in any pain. Light forgot what they put in the IV, but he knew it was quite strong. With the damage Sabre sustained, they didn't even debate anything less.

Light sighed, using his free hand to brush some hair out of Sabre's face. Sabre's naturally cold skin—compared to Steves at least—still felt like ice. He dropped his hand when the hair stayed, gazing softly at Sabre.

His blindfold laid on the end table next to the bed with a whole lot of flowers, waiting for it to be worn one more time.

The lack of the blindfold was a strange sight to get used to, but the Green Steves needed to check Sabre's pupil's reflexes often, so it stayed off. Even with their powers, they needed to physically make sure nothing was wrong.

Light never knew why Sabre wore his blindfold, so he wasn't going to comment on his eyes if he awoke.

Light winced, shaking his head roughly. No. Bad Light!

When! When he wakes up!

Sabre was still alive. He was breathing, and the heart monitor was—thank Origin— still beeping.

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

Light didn't know what he would do if he heard the beeping stop. It happened once, when Time was with Sabre.

Green said that Time—who accidentally froze Sabr in time in his panicked state—probably saved his life.

Time quickly took over a spare office nearby after that, transforming it into a makeshift bedroom.
Time and Light swapped using it to catch some pitiful amount of rest when they could.

After all, if Light wasn't working, he was here.

They weren't the only ones to use the room. Occasionally one of the Leaders would if they were too tired to go home. It wasn't that odd of a sight to stumble into the room to see one of them Leaders passed out there.

They all were worried, each one clinging to fading hope Sabre would wake up. Light wasn't sure what they would do if Sabre wasn't going to wake up.

Blue, in a regretful tone, told them what Sabre did when dealing with Nightmare. There was a lot more panic after that. The knowledge that Sabre would go to the World Below if they failed to keep them alive was a lot worse than thinking he'd go to the World Beyond.

So they all cling onto hope Sabre would awake. None of them wanted to see him waste away in the bed; Too still for their comfort.

The beeping was their few comforts.

Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep.

Light blinked, eyes flicking over to the monitor. Sabre's heart rate was picking up, which was new.

"Maybe you'll wake up soon." He spoke to the air.

The Green Steves were unsure if Sabre would be able to hear him or not, so Light and everyone else held onto the hope he could.

Light ran his thumb over the back of his hand; his thumb catching on a small scar there. It was a new one, healed up from the explosion. Many of the new scars laid on his arms and chest. Green said it looked as if Sabre managed to block his face with his arms just in time, which inadvertently saved his life.

Much of the metal embedded itself into his arms, yet none hit his face. No matter how good at surviving someone is, they couldn't survive a metal shard through the brain. Especially with the sped the explosion shot everything at.

He gave a squeeze of Sabre's hand at the memory. Even from the distance Light was at, he was able to feel the sheer force of it.

Slinking around, wondering where Sabre went. Glancing around trees, looking for his green cladded friend.

Seeing a cave, with a minor light shining around it.

Taking a step, before-

Light jumped with a yelp when he felt his hand get squeezed back.

He felt his heart stop as he held his breath. "...Sabre?" Light couldn't help the hopeful tone.

One squeeze.

Then another.

— — —

Words: 1028