16: Below (Betrayal U)

Sabre woke up to feeling hard ground underneath him as he laid on his stomach along with the feeling of someone tapping lightly on his cheek. Sabre grumbled, squeezing his eyes tight when the tapping got faster.

"Sabre?" Corruption's voice murmured above him. "Sabre? Are you awake?" The tapping stopped for his shoulder to lightly be shaken. Sabre groaned in response. Did he accidentally get knocked out by a TNT explosion or an attack, because, ow.

His entire body ached, his chest especially. Each muscle in his body twinged with a soreness he was unaccustomed to. That didn't stop him from pushing himself up. Corruption's hands helped him keep steady as the world wobbled.

The ground was hot underneath his hands, with rough stones jabbing into his exposed skin. Corruption looked relieved, but that's not what Sabre was focused on.

A red misty haze hung in the hair, making it difficult to see off in the distance while red rocks surrounded them, as if they were in a cavern. They were on a peninsula, with lava bubbling angrily on all three sides. Where the peninsula connected to more ground, one side had a cliff shoot up randomly, pouring more lava into the large body of lava surrounding them. Looking up, he could see bright yellow stone glowing along with stalactites. Stalagmites surrounded them, dotted randomly around, made up of the same red rock they were surrounded by.

"Where...?" He asked, clearing his throat as he glanced back at his friend. The place nagged at his brain, as if he should know but couldn't place it.

"Sabre..." Corruption frowned. "What's the last thing you remember?"

Sabre paused. Last thing he remem- THE ATTACK!

Sabre shot up, only to teeter dangerously when his legs nearly gave out from the sudden strain. Corruption stood up and steadied him, an amused huff leaving his mouth.

Light blocking his attacks.

Spinning around, cutting Light off from his guards.

Pain-

Light looked horrified.

A sword, sticking out of his chest-!

Sabre instinctively reached for his chest, where he knew an injury should lay. Blood soaked his hand, yet no pain came when he pressed on the very fatal injury. "...I died..." He breathed out. The surrounding area made sense. "The World Below..." He heard of the place from Blue and Void, but this was his first time seeing it.

Corruption nodded sadly. "You're the only one I was able to find so far."

Sabre perked up. "Does that mean Soul-"

Corruption interrupted him with the shake of his head. Sabre wilted. "Blue Steves, corrupted or not, don't go to an afterlife when they die. They just fade."

The sentence was a kick to the chest. He could feel tears pricking his eyes, only to be absorbed by his blindfold. "He's gone...? Forever?"

Corruption nodded, kicking a loose rock. "They struck him from behind as they distracted me! Whimpering cowards! The whole lot of them!" He screamed.

Sabre winced, hand going to his chest. Corruption caught the motion, realization flickering in his eyes, before anger took over. "They didn't!" He hissed.

It was Sabre's turn to nod. Corruption gave a strangled scream, kicking more rocks as he paced. "Those- those! Agh! They know we're strong so they had to turn to pathetic methods! I'll kill them! I'll raze the entire-"

"Jeez-" Sabre and Corruption turn to the new voice. Shadow stood there, leaning against a stalagmite. Black and red blood dripped from his neck, coating the front of him. "What's got you upset? Besides our location." Shadow tacked on.