30: Culminate (Betrayal AU)

During Sabre's exile, before the Colorless Guards attacked him but a decent time into the exile.

— — —

Sabre stumbled along through the forest, going from tree to tree. Sabre fought through the pain that radiated from several injuries. Most notably his twisted ankle.

Even without being able to see him, Sabre could feel Shadow's presence. In the beginning, Sabre hated how he could feel Shadow around him constantly; Like an itch he couldn't reach. Now though, Shadow hovering behind him was a comforting presence. A constant reminder he wasn't alone, no matter how alone he felt.

He stumbled, nearly slamming into a tree. His ankle sent bolts of flame up his leg in return.

He felt his throat get tight as pressure built behind his eyes. What did he do to deserve this? Is it just because he was not a Steve? He thought the Leaders cared for him, but how was this caring?

Maybe they didn't, but then why would they act like it? The other Steves made it clear what they thought of him.

Sabre froze at the sound of a branch snapping ahead of them. Too heavy to be an animal, but possible nature going about it's course. Shadow, without any prompting, rushed ahead to investigate, unbothered by the trees and shrubbery. A pro to being invisible to any Steve. No need to hide if no Steve can see or hear you.

Shadow came back through the foliage thirty seconds later, shaking his head and pointing to the left. Sabre nodded, heading in that direction.

Sabre didn't have any basis since he never left the kingdom before, but it almost seemed as if a lot of Steve's were almost looking for him. Even with the Darkness being a threat, so many Steves were out. Wasn't the Rainbow Kingdom built to protect all the Steves? Did the Leaders just not care how many were roaming about?

Sabre's ankle twinged when he stepped on it wrong. Making him bite his lips, trying his hardest not to make a sound. He didn't need to draw any attention to himself.

Shadow gave him a sadden look, before looking around once more.

Sabre couldn't even hate the pity. When that Yellow Steve nearly killed him–seriously, who fireballs a shelter without checking it–, he gained a lot of injuries escaping the flames. One of them being a twisted ankle that's making it very hard to walk. Add the fact he's basically out of food and nearly out of water, Sabre wasn't having a fun time.

Sabre stumbled over a tree root in his rush, slamming into the ground with a thud. A few leaves billowed away from him. His breath left him as his injuries screamed at him, making breathing difficult. Add more bruises to the list he supposed.

Two spots of pressure hit his arms, before the cold went through his arms. He glanced up to see Shadow knelt there, frowning down at him. Something told Sabre it wasn't directed at him, so he didn't bother too much with what Shadow was frowning at.

Sabre strained to push himself up, arms shaking at the task. He hasn't had a decent meal in a few days now, and his body was clearly being affected by that. His stomach growled at the reminder.

More pressure built behind his eyes when his arms gave out underneath him, sending him to the ground once more. "...what did I do?" Sabre choked out as tears began collecting. They were quickly absorbed by his blindfold. L"I just wanted to help."

"Nothing." Shadow stated. "It's their fault, not yours."

Sabre tried to push himself up again, managing to sit up this time, before his arms turned to jellop. His ankle was screaming at him, pain jolting up his leg at every minute movement.

Sabe blinked away tears. "Maybe I did something." He shuddered out. "They wouldn't-" A choked sob tore out of his throat. He rubbed his eyes with his sleeve, not minding the blindfold.

Shadow sat beside him, saying nothing.

"What did I do?" He gasped out. "Why would they want me to die out here!?" He took another gasping breath. "Why do they hate me for existing!"

"...I don't know." Shadow mumbled. "But…I…I'm sorry."

The apology had him looking at his other half. Shadow was sitting on the ground, knees to his chest, looking away. Sabre blinked his eyes clear, the sudden apology slamming some calmness into him. "W-what?"

"I said I'm sorry." Shadow pressed his knees closer to his chest. "They hate and fear you because of me. If I didn't exist, they wouldn't fear you."

Sabre shook his head. "The fear isn't new." He croaked out. His throat felt sore from the crying. "And I'm glad you exist."

Shadow snapped his head to look at him with an incredulous expression. "What?"

Sabre smiled. "I'm glad you exist."

Shadow opened and closed his mouth a few times. "You-"

"I swear I heard something!" A voice cried in the distance. Both of them froze, before Shadow shot up and started looking around.

Sabre's usual hiding method of climbing trees was out because of his ankle.

"Over here!" Shadow pointed ahead of them. "Hurry!"

Sabre bit his tongue and pushed himself up. A hiss slipped through, but he managed to limp towards the small cave Shadow was pointing to.

It was a small hole, barely visible, but perfect. Sabre dropped his bag in, wincing at the sound, before slowly lowering himself in. His arms shook with the strain, before they couldn't take it anymore.

Landing on stone hurt a lot more than dirt, but he was hidden.

Sabre glared up at the hole, scooting away from the entrance. What did he do to deserve this! He gave his life for the Steves and this was his thanks?!

The voices were closer now, and he knew Shadow would be staying above the surface to keep watch. Sabre huffed. The fact this was his life now was sad.

The fact he had to watch out for the Chromatic and the Darkness was sickening. What gave them the right to do this? Because he was different from them? What would they do if he attacked them?

They already hated him, so what, kill him? The exile was already doing that.

So maybe he should...

Sabre shook that thought out of his head. 

Sabre didn't know, and he was scared to find out the answer.

— — —

Words: 1044

Pretty much the main turning point of Sabre's relationship with the Chromatics, not that he knows it at the time. LP