6: Improvise

Time hummed softly to himself, enjoying the quiet that filled the air. Sabre and Dark were out and about, taking their natural chaotic nature with them.

Bags and jars filled with a multitude of items covered the counter, each one with a label marking what the item is. Pushed off to the side we're measuring cups, all neatly stacked in one another. If their sizing allows it, at least.

A gentle breeze blew through the open window, fluttering the curtain as the wind pushed itself into the house. He could hear other Steves going about their day, a mumbled drone of many voices piled onto one another.

Time glanced at the book on the table, recipes of his own filling it to the brim. A present from Sabre, who based it off of one item from his world. The book was meant solely for recipes, one that he could write new things in as time went on.

Apparently, it was quite common for Sabre's people to print out books just filled with recipes, but since that (sadly) was not a thing here, Sabre had to go with the next best thing. The beginning of the book was filled with Sabre's handwriting. Each one different recipes that Time has tried and squirreled away, neatly copied into the book. The writing stopped halfway through the book, where Sabre reached the end of his recipes.

At the end though, Sabre shoved several loose sheets of paper into the bind. The papers were also filled with recipes, but ones Sabre remembered from his world.

It was one of those pieces of paper he was referencing. If Time was just doing a recipe from his world, he wouldn't be rereading the recipe as much as he is. Except he's not, so Time is trying his hardest to not screw up the recipe.

The sheer thought that he was making something that came from another world was mind boggling, so he didn't think much about it.

Time scanned his eyes down the recipe, making sure he had everything he needed before he began. That was a lesson learned real quick when he first started picking up baking.

Flour, salt, baking powder, milk, an egg, vanilla extract, butter, baking soda, and cinnamon!

Time nodded, glad he had all the ingredients, and went to work. He would rather get this done before Dark and Sabre came back. While both were decent in the kitchen, they also tended to make more of a mess than needed. Plus, this was a surprise for Sabre. Sabre can't help him make it and have it still be a surprise.

Time didn't even get to finish the first step before he realized the mistake he made. He scanned the recipe once more, realizing his eyes skipped an ingredient he needed.

Sugar.

Signing, Time walked over to where his baking supplies were stored. Opening the cupboard showed some unneeded baking supplies, or extra that was bought on previous shopping trips.

Sugar sugar sugar. Time mumbled to himself. He looked over the small selection again. Twice.

He glanced at the counter, hoping he'd see the jar of sugar Time just so happened to grab on habit.

There was no sugar.

Time gave an annoyed hiss. Great, now he had to improvise. The first step was almost done, with six ingredients already mixed together, and he doesn't have sugar.

What now...

He couldn't just go and buy some sugar. Leaving all the supplies out was just asking to get ants, but he can't just leave the mixture alone until they get sugar. Who knows what would happen with it during that time.

Well, Sabre probably knows, but it's not like he was here right now.

He tapped his foot on the tiled floor as a thought popped into his head. Why could he just use brown sugar instead?

At most it would affect the texture a bit, but nothing too bad.

Yeah. Time gave a decisive nod to himself as he bent back down to gaze at the baking supplies. 'Brown Suga' a jar read in Dark's handwriting. The final 'r' faded away completely, and the rest of the letters were following behind. He grabbed the jar, and got back to work.

Yet, Time seemed he couldn't catch a break. As he was whisking the batter, he felt the whisk shift roughly as a quiet 'ting' rang out.

He pulled the whisk out, glaring at the offending item. Not one, but two of the metal poles broke off the handle, making it awkward to use. Time let out a long sigh, before dropping the item into the trash.

It was when he was going for their spare, Time remembered that one also broke. That one wasn't him, but Sabre, who tossed it when Dark scared him. The whisk got stuck in the wall to the handle, while Dark and Sabre were dealing with their sudden adrenaline rush.

Time huffed, shaking his head and scattering the memory. At least it wasn't a knife thrown.

He pulled out a rubber spatula, folding the last of the sugar into the mix. The things he does for muffins. Special muffins, but muffins nonetheless.

Time groaned when the front door slammed open, quickly followed by Dark's footsteps quickly darting up the stairs. He knew it was Dark, since Time wouldn't have heard the steps if it was Sabre.

Time sighed, when he heard the door shut. "Don't come in here!" He called out.

"Got it?" Sabre's voice replied. There was a pause. "Where's Dark?" Sabre asked.

Time debated on telling him. "Why...?" He stepped away from the bowl, peeking his head out into the living room. Sabre wasn't there anymore. Must have gone to look upstairs.

Time shrugged. Whatever they were doing wasn't any of his concern.

He heard Dark screeching, before footsteps quickly went down the stairs and out the door once more. Time sighed to himself when he heard Sabre mumbling something to himself as he also went down the stairs, shutting the door.

Time went back to work. He's glad his friends were able to mess around and have fun finally. They deserved it.

— — —

Words: 1026