19: Habit (Sky Mirror AU)

Time was beginning to get worried.

At first, he didn't think much of it. Unlike a good majority of people, Time easily remembers that Sabre isn't a Steve. So, obviously, Sabre would have a different biology and habits compared to Steves. Some habits and things may seem odd for a Steve, but Sabre wasn't one.

Except, this was new.

Had Sabre done it from the start, Time wouldn't be so worried. Sabre didn't, so Time was.

If Time had to pinpoint when it first started, it would probably be a few weeks ago, when Time found Sabre on the roof in a torrential downpour.

He could still remember that heartstopping moment of knocking on Sabre's door, only to receive no response and checking inside, to see Sabre not there. No matter what, Sabre always told him if he was going somewhere and to see the window open and Sabre gone was heartstopping. Time hoped that that would be the end of that.

He should have learned a long while ago that he should never be optimistic when dealing with Sabre.

After the initial incident, Sabre seemed to perk back up. After going so long without his memories, gaining them back—no matter how slowly— was something to be happy about.

Time heard the stories of the first few months Sabre was around. Everyone bumbling around in the dark when it came to Sabre's biology and health.

Then a few days later, it seemed as if the happiness was gone, and Sabre was yet again looking out the window with a longing look. Time was torn between wanting to give whatever Sabre longed for outside or letting Sabre go with him following.

They've been through too much for Time to just let him go without a fight.

That very same day, Sabre was back on the roof. The cloudy sky slowly got darker, and Time had to drag him back inside before Sabre got soaked again. Sabre wasn't pleased, and the thunderstorm was the worst one to date that season.

The next day, Time thought his eyes were beginning to fail him, yet Light, who was visiting again, had the same issue.

Sabre seemed to almost be blurring around the edges; his hair fading into the hair as if it was made of smoke. When Sabre looked at them, an upset expression flashed across his face, before Sabre moved on to the kitchen.

Something was wrong, and Time didn't know what. It hurt to see Sabre retreating in his shell more and more. Days spent laughing and finally having peace became Time looking up the stairs, waiting for Sabre to finally come down.

Time wasn't sure whether to be happy or not that it wasn't just their house that Sabre was doing this new habit. He wasn't sure if he should wish Sabre was acting normal everywhere else but home or not.

Occasionally, when Time would be out and about, the Leaders would stop and ask him about Sabre. For they too saw his change in personality and were worried. It wasn't a surprise to find out Sabre began to climb taller buildings in the other kingdoms and villages too.

It was one quiet night, Time knocked on Sabre's door. "Sabre?" He called out.

He heard the shifting of fabric as Sabre moved around, before two quiet knocks sounded from inside. With the go ahead, Time opened the door and peered inside.

Sabre was sitting by the window—thankfully closed— surrounded by a whole spew of blankets and pillows. Glancing at the bed showed that Sabre dragged all of them off his bed.

Sabre, with his definitely misty hair, all black with stars dotted around, gazed up at him. His blindfold was off, to show both pupils matched the moon phase. Time would have been unsettled had he not known Sabre for so long.