18: Voice (Sky Mirror AU)

Orange, from the moment he laid eyes on Sabre, wondered exactly what he was. Of course, that didn't stop him from becoming best friends with Sabre. It's just that mild curiosity always hung in the back of his head whenever something odd would happen.

The first time it happened was the very first day Sabre and him met and moved into the Rainbow Hub. Sabre, exploring the Hub, was singing as Orange spent time with his pigs and Gerald.

After living alone for so long and dealing with the dangers that came with that, Orange was quite used to constantly paying attention to even the slightest of sounds. So, while Sabre quietly sang his song, Orange hummed along to the melancholy tune.

Which meant Orange heard the change in Sabre before seeing it. The slight pitch in tone that Orange first brushed off as a part of the song, got lower and lower and never rose. He glanced up from where he sat, more curious to where Sabre was at now than anything, only to gasp in shock. His hand stilled the petting treatment, much to the pig's annoyance.

Sabre's hair, which was brown originally, had streaks of colors. Oranges and reds and violets mixing together.

"Sabre!" Orange called out, catching his new friend's attention. Orange brushed off the dirt of his pants when he stood up.

"...yeah?" Sabre called out. He was currently crouched down by some tulips Orange planted.

Orange hopped the fence with ease, bouncing over to Sabre. "I didn't know you could change colors!"

Sabre stood up, turning to face him. Orange couldn't exactly tell his expression, since not seeing his eyes really made it hard. "What?" Sabre spoke after a few beats of silence. Now that he was closer, Orange could really tell Sabre's voice was slightly lower than before. All the singing must have worn out his voice.

Orange couldn't help but giggle. How could Sabre not know? "Your hair, silly!" Orange gestured towards the multicolored hair. "And is your throat feeling okay? Your voice sounds different."

"I feel fine?" Sabre shrugged. "And what's wrong with my hair?"

Orange blinked. Oh, he wasn't joking about not knowing. "It's colorful." Orange informed him.

Sabre raked a few fingers through his bangs, tugging them down in front of his eyes. His mouth formed an 'O'. "Huh. Wonder if that's normal." He brushed his bangs back into place as he stretched.

That was when Orange found out he might never get the answer to his curiosity, while making Orange admire Sabre even more. It was one thing to easily accept a dangerous task of collecting all the crystals, it was another thing to accept it while not remembering who you even are. What you are.

The next time his curiosity peaked was the same night and the night after. The sun had finished setting and the two of them quietly headed back to the house. Orange kept staring at Sabre's hair, mystified at the new appearance.

It reminded him of the night sky. The brown was gone, replaced with black, and white dots were all over. Then he caught the sight of a crescent, the same phase the moon was in, and realized Sabre's hair didn't just look like the night sky. It was reflecting it.

They walked into the house, each heading to the kitchen. With all the excitement that was the day, they realized they hadn't eaten.

Orange opened a cupboard, peering inside to see what he tossed in. "Hey Sabre?"

Orange could hear Sabre shuffling papers off the table, before the sound stopped suddenly. Orange peaked at Sabre, confused at the lack of an answer.

"Sabre?" Orange tried again.