29: Warning (Betrayal AU)

Void followed the Demon Steve—Ember, he said his name was— down the paths. With his transformation finally complete, he was now given the freedom to roam around.

He has yet been able to find a surface reflective enough to see his complete change, but he had an idea. Void denied the sedatives he was offered. They would have made it so he didn't have to be able for most of the transformation, and rather been asleep.

Void denied them and was awake the entire time, which allowed him to see the others in all their glory.

Sabre and Shadow were the ones he first saw, both looking worse for wear but relieved to see him. He was informed of the Demon's goals—which he already knew—and the various goings on of what had happened.

Demon Steves were all about strength, and any new addition had to prove their worth quickly if they didn't want to be ordered around. Which meant both of them, as Corruption as yet finished his transformation, had been fighting a lot as of recently.

They didn't mind, though Sabre was mostly relieved he hadn't run into any of his old enemies yet. It was an odd thought. The fact that Sabre was once a hero was something that slipped his mind on occasion. The fact that Sabre had enemies—powerful ones—down here that might be looking for revenge had his blood boiling.

Sabre, whether they like it or not, was on their side now. If they tried anything and he was free from the conversion tube...

Well, there was a reason he had a lot of minions working for him after all.

Since the last time they talked—Corruption being freed a few days ago was good news—Sabre and Shadow have yet run into any of Sabre's past enemies. The fact they were staying on the surface and terrorizing the Chromatics might have something to do with it.

Thankfully, Ember informed him that Sabre and Shadow weren't in the Overworld, leading him to where they were now. With Ember leading him to the two—maybe three—as he followed.

He could tell several Steve were already sizing him up, judging where he would fall in their little totum of power. Void glared back, urging them to try. He could feel the unfamiliar powers underneath his skin, and was willing to give them a go.

No one has yet risen for the bait sadly enough.

From what he was told, many Demon Steves thought that Sabre and Shadow wouldn't be strong, and quickly proved wrong. The same happened with Corruption, and it seems that maybe they finally learned his group wasn't one to mess with.

Or so he thought.

Ember turned a corner, going to the more residential district apparently. The buildings and paths all looked the same to him, but apparently there was an actual layout to the place.

Turn the corner allowed Void to catch a glimpse of a Steve who actually had some remaining parts of their past self.

Another sign of how strong a Steve is apparently.

The Steve perked up at the sight of them, a fire lighting in their eyes. Void couldn't help but stare. The Steve looked...well, the Steve looked blank.

No defining features, with their body almost looking blurry. Void couldn't even see any Demon Steve modifications, that's how blurry the Steve was.

Oh. It clicked. Faceless. One of the people Sabre was nervous to see. The one with the power to morph into anyone he touched. Useful, but annoying to fight against.

Sabre made that abundantly clear.

"And who do we have here?" Faceless spoke.

Ember let out a sigh. "Now is not the time. He is still in the grace period." Ember dryly informed the Steve.

Faceless frowned, sending both of them a mild glare, but stepped back. "You and your grace periods." He grumbled. "I haven't even seen the first two and I know their grace period has ended. Just wait till I find out where you're hiding those two."

Oh? First two? Who would be- oh. Oh absolutely not-

Void took a breath, cooling the heat that was beginning to form in his hands. Not yet.

"If you haven't seen them, it is not a fault of mine." Ember stated. "They have been out and about."

Void shifted, drawing Faceless' attention. He took a step closer, allowing the glare to harden on his face. "And if you do see them," Void spoke slowly, taking another step closer, "-and you will know when you do see them, you will leave them alone. Or when I become the leader, you will regret the day you decided to become who you are Faceless."

Faceless glared back. It was weak. Void has seen his group toss out playful glares stronger than Faceless'. "Is that a threat?" Faceless asked.

"It's a warning and a promise."

Faceless puffed up, mouth open, before he froze. "How do you know who I am?"

Void smiled, placing a hand on his shoulder, giving it a tight squeeze as he leaned forward. The body was solid even with the unfocused look. "One of the people you are hunting works with me and they already helped defeat you once when they were a hero." Void explained. "I can assure you, if you harm anyone in my group, you will regret it. And do not think of transforming into me, you will regret that as well."

Void dropped the glare and patted his shoulder, stepping away. Void turned to look back at Ember, who looked tired of the situation. "May we continue?" Void asked.

Ember nodded. "Anyways, as I was saying..."

Void nodded, walking away listening to Ember rattle off facts and things he needed to know. Void could feel the stare following him, making him split his focus between Ember and Reverse.

That split focus allowed him to catch the very fearful breath leave Faceless as they walked away. "Oh Origin, Sabre's down here?"

Void smiled. Fear was a good reaction for him to have.