5: Flowers (Betryal AU)

Me, at my brain: Okay, just let's think of something that doesn't have to deal with the Betrayal AU.

Brain: Only the Betrayal AU? Got it.

— — —

The wind blew softly through the field. The long grass and flowers followed the breeze as it carried their scent through the air. A few bees buzzed off in the distance; Collecting pollen for their hive. The sun shone down without a cloud in the sky, yet it wasn't overbearing with the constant wind.

Sabre stretched out as he laid on his stomach, letting out a long sigh. Slightly off to the side, far enough where their words were just audible, Sabre could hear Corruption and Shadow with Aster, who was quickly picking up how to use a sword. Closer to him, Lavender was giggling softly to herself as she kept herself entertained. If he strained his hearing, he could hear the soft rushing of a nearby river, where Soul went to relax away from the group.

Even with Sabre being with the Darkness for a while now, he still wasn't used to being able to just relax outside. He could faintly remember the first time all five of them went out just to be out. No plans for destruction or corruption, just to get out of the lair for a bit. He could remember the looks all four gave him when he couldn't sit still in the open field.

All four of them were relaxing, spread out among the flower field. Shadow, who just became physical a day ago, laid spread out, enjoying the weather. Soul and Corruption talked softly between the two. Slightly farther out, Void was tucked under a tree with a book, red eyes occasionally glancing up.

Sabre felt tense, sitting their among the flowers. He tried to force his body to relax, yet as time ticked on he could feel the stress building. They were too open, no place to duck and hide. With the forest surrounding the small flower field, anyone could sneak up and they wouldn't have a clue.

He bounced his leg, trying to play attention to the conversation Soul and Corruption were trying to have with him. They were out in the open. How were they relaxed when it was possible for an attack to come at any angle?

Sabre glanced around the area, scanning the darkened areas the forest created for the hundredth time. They were too exposed. They had to get somewhere more hidden. How was he the only one seeing the issue? Sabre pulled some grass, rolling the plant into a small ball, looking around.

Corruption snapped his fingers in front of him, making Sabre jolt and nearly fall back. Both of them had small frowns as their eyebrows furrowed. "Are...you okay?" Corruption asked.

Sabre could hear Shadow shift at the question behind him, probably confused at the question.

"I'm fine!" Sabre forced a laugh. His leg didn't stop bouncing. "Why do you ask?"

Corruption just looked at him with an unreadable expression, but it was clearly a sad one. "...You do know we are not going to be attacked here...right? You're not in danger here."

Sabre froze. "I- uh... know!" He rubbed the back of his neck.

"Do you?" Soul asked softly. He looked up from the grass chain he was creating. "You're acting like Rainbow first did."

Oh...

"You've been tense this entire time." Corruption picked up the conversation again. "And haven't sat still. So, are you okay?"

Sabre opened his mouth, but the words stuck in his throat. He tried again, yet nothing came out. He felt something bump his shoulder, causing him to jump up and away from the sudden contact.