22: Grow (Crystal Fusion AU)

Sabre smiled softly to himself as he walked out of the house and down the steps, a basket swinging lightly in his hands. The sun was just rising, the sky still a deep blue with the moon still shining on the horizon.

Sabre trotted down the path leading to one of the exits of the Rainbow Hub. The forest surrounding them was dark, with very few animals out and about. Sabre was enjoying the quiet.

"Why do you have to get up so early?" Green grumbled.

Sabre sighed. There goes his peace and quiet.

I'm up at my usual time Green. Sabre huffed.

"The sun isn't even up yet!" If Green was physical, he would probably gesturing to the still darken sky.

Sabre laughed softly to himself as he past through the exit and into the forest. Walking down the path to 'his' garden, Sabre listened to Green as he ranted on how awful Sabre's sleep schedule was, occasionally comparing it to someone named 'Colle'.

It was weird thinking back to a time when Sabre could only talk to the Kings when he was asleep. Sure, the occasional sentence from them would come through, but other than that it was just him in his head.

Now though, he wasn't alone asleep or awake. Sabre laughed when he heard the grumbling of all the other Kings as they were forced awake. It was odd, getting used to the fact he was now never alone, but he was enjoying their presence. He was pretty sure they enjoyed have some access to the living world, even if was through him.

It was how to garden came to be after all. Green and Violet King one day mourned the fact that they couldn't grow anything, and the next Sabre was planting a garden, following the two's instructions.

It was the least he could do for them, plus it gave him something to do in the downtime. Red, who unsurprisingly loved books, was overjoyed when Sabre started a small collection to read. Orange loved to paint—both of them— so know Orange Steve and Sabre spent some afternoons painting together. Yellow liked exploring, so he was pretty content since Sabre often didn't get to stay at home. Blue loved the stars, for it was always day in the World Beyond. So on cloudless nights, Sabre would stay up and gaze at the stars, listening as Blue King rattled off constellations and space facts. Indigo loved baking, so occasionally Sabre would spend time with Time baking.

As the Steve of Connection, Indigo also enjoyed the fact he got to spend time with one of his friends.

Sabre reached the small clearing he placed his garden in. A wooden fence going around the entire thing, with a wooden gate facing the path. 

Sabre walked up to the garden, smiling at the plants. Even if he was more attuned to fighting, seeing the garden made him happy. Just the fact that he (with help) grew this was amazing.

On one side, various plants grew while on the other, various followers grew.

"Check the tomatoes." Green King said, finally done with his rant. "They we're looking a little sick yesterday."

"The flowers looked okay, so you can work on the food first hon." Violet yawned. "Maybe give some flowers to that Green Steve that moved in a few days ago. Poor fellow..."

"Please don't remind me of that."

"Oh! I'm sorry Green."

Sabre did as he was asked, tuning out their conversation. He used the bits of knowledge he picked up from Green and Violet King as be bent down and inspected the tomatoes.

"Prune that branch." Green King requested.
"It's too crowded on that side."

Sabre nodded to himself. Walking back to where the gate was, Sabre spotted the chest he was after. He opened the chest with all the gardening supplies and grabbed the clippers before heading back to the tomatoes.

He looked down at the tomato plant, huffing with his hair fell in his face. He heard a few chuckles from the other Kings. At least they were respectful enough to not constantly barrage him with talking.

Violet King gasped. "We could pull your hair up if you wanted. I believe it's long enough!"

Violet sounded so happy at the idea so Sabre didn't deny it. As long as it was kept out of his eyes, he didn't mind how long it was.

"Or he could cut it." Red grumbled. He wasn't a morning person, and constantly despised how early Sabre woke up.

"No!" Violet yelped. "It's too pretty to cut!"

"Guys, it's his hair." Orange interrupted. "Let Sabre decided what he wants to do with it."

Sabre, even though he couldn't see them, could feel the stares. "I'll see how I like it long, and if I don't I'll cut it." He said, his voice breaking the silence that surrounded him. "Deal?"

Violet gasped. "I can teach you braids! Or buns! Or many-"

"How about you start with the ponytail." Blue said.

Violet groaned dramatically, prompting laughs from everyone. Sabre couldn't stop his smile as he moved around the garden. The carrots were nearly done, with the wheat was only just beginning to push itself out of the ground. The apple tree in the corner held apples, though they weren't complete ripe yet.

"I can't believe you guys don't have winter." Sabre huffed.

"Your world sounds apocalyptic." Orange replied. "The fact snow just covers the land for a good third of the year is terrifying."

Several agreements rang out. Sabre rolled his eyes. "My world isn't that bad."

"Yes it is."

"It sounds awful."

"That is where you are wrong."

"Who lied to you about your world?"

"Hon...I'm shocked you survived there."

Sabre groaned. "It's not that bad!"

The silence was deafening.
Sabre sighed, stopping by the berry planted by the fence line. Green gave the go ahead on the berries at the unspoken question.

Sabre knelt back down onto the ground and picked the berries, placing them in the basket. He heard the gate open, followed by a pitter patter of feet. Sabre laughed when he felt a head-but on his legs.

Sabre turned to see Gerald looking up at him. "The carrots aren't done yet." Gerald gave a displeased oink, shaking his head.

"Give them two weeks."

"Two more weeks." Sabre patted his head. "Just two more weeks."

Gerald huffed, before turning his gaze to the basket hanging off his arm. Sabre pulled out a few berries and sat them on the ground. Gerald huffed, but laid down next to him and ate the berries.

Sabre turned back to the berry bushes, smiling as he listened to Indigo and Red bicker about some book published during their time.

Sabre huffed. He was glad this was his life. Darkness or not, he wouldn't give this up for the world.

— — —

Words: 1148