10: Memory (Unnamed AU)

Still thinking of a name for this AU. I had it brewing for a while, and this was actually a perfect prompt for it so here you go! It was loosely inspired by AiraGuardian's book 'Amnesiac Hero'.

— — —

Sabre woke up laying on the hard ground as his head pounded with each beat of his heart. He blinked sluggishly, as he tried to recall exactly how he ended up laying on the ground.

His head was killing him. Did he get another concussion? Lucas was going to kill him if so. If Alex doesn't beat him to it at least. Where were his friends anyways?

He groaned as he rolled over, trying to push himself up. His hands met rough stones that made up a pavilion. Sabre squinted, wincing at the pain the sun brought when he looked out. Even if he was in the shade the pavilion's roof brought, the sun was still bright. It felt like a pickaxe was being driven into his skull and it wasn't getting any better.

God, he definitely has a concussion. Maybe that's why he couldn't remember exactly how he ended up wherever he was. The place was clearly abandoned, judging by the vines and moss covering the large circular walls that surrounded him. Maybe Rainbow or someone else would know what this place was. Clearly it was built before most of the Steves died and the world more or less ended.

Sabre sat up, his legs tucked neatly under him. He hummed to himself when he caught sight of several different colored rings when he glanced around. Almost like several deactivated portals. Maybe they were, when the Darkness was an issue. Would help with traveling for Steves at least. Maybe this place was some abandoned center for something big.

Sabre shook his head, only his bend over when his head protested the motion.

It didn't matter wherever he was. He had to find his friends before they got too worried. As Sabre went to stand up, his hand hit something that clattered against the stone.

Sabre looked down at the item by his hand. A sword laid innocently. The black blade however seemed to dissolve into the air near the edge almost, giving it a dark Misty look. His brain took a few seconds for it to click, but when it did, he shot his hand to his chest almost instinctively.

"Darkness?" He mumbled to himself. "No...that doesn't make any sense. We got rid of the Darkness a long while ago."

Sabre stole another glance at the blade, before the surrounding area. Did he get possessed by a sword? The sword definitely did not give good vibes, so why would he even grab it in the first place.

He could feel the look Alex and Guardian would give him. Sabre knew he didn't have the best track with staying out of danger with his self-preservation, but come on! The sword reeked of evil! Just sitting by it had his hair on edge! Sabre wasn't going to willingly touch it if he had a choice.

Sabre huffed. So, more than likely he somehow got possessed by a sword with Darkness on it and also somehow snapped out of it wherever he was. Maybe Rainbow would know where he was, since he had his memories back and all. If not, there were plenty of other Steve that could know.

Sabre stood up, wincing at the motion when his head kindly reminded him of the pain it was in. God, it felt like it was getting worse. He rubbed his temple without much thought. Now, where was the Rainbow Town? His friends were probably really worried.

Sabre looked around. He really didn't know which was to go. It's not like he could see the top of the Rainbow Tree of Life anywhere, or any Rainbow Trees, so no dice there.

Sabre groaned. Just his luck. How did he somehow get possessed on a simple trip with Rainbow looking for a place for Lucas' birthday party?

Stomping through the woods, laughing as he chased Rainbow.