15: Confinement (Sky Mirror AU)

Sabre woke up slowly, feeling warm and comfortable. He blinked slowly, staring at his wall as he got his bearings. He yawned.

Downstairs, he could hear voices; A quiet drone filling the house. Even with the walls separating them, he could tell it was Time with Light and Orange Leader.

Sabre stretched—accidentally knocking a pillow off his bed—before pushing himself up into a sitting position, blinking slowly. Around him laid what Time liked to call a mess, but Sabre called his bed. An ungodly amount of blankets and pillows to keep him warm.

Probably the only reason Time accepted it was that he always seemed to be unnaturally cold. It didn't help that he seemed to get colder after they defeated The First Curse and went back in time and came back. It was a really busy day.

Sabre kicked his legs, freeing them from the confines of the blanket mound he had, and slipped out of bed with a groan.

The sun shone through the curtains, and when Sabre peaked his head between them to gaze outside, he didn't see a cloud in the sky.

Sabre hummed softly to himself, before moving away from the window and ready to get changed for the day. Unless Time planned something and forgot to tell him, they had nothing going on that day, so Sabre could get by with some lounging around clothes. Time saw him after they escaped Void, some sweats wouldn't be the worst he's seen.

Sabre caught sight of himself in the mirror above the dresser. He huffed softly to himself, leaning closer to inspect. As the days went on, more and more of the brown hair Sabre was accustomed to have was fading away to match the undertone. At the moment, it was blue, to match the cloudless sky and his eyes.

Looking closer showed his skin was doing what it always did on days like today. He looked almost sickly, with a constant blue undertone only really visible on his fingers, nose, and ears.

Sabre shook his head and got changed. Whatever was going on was unknown to all of them, so it was pointless to worry about it. He slipped into his clothes.

Sabre yawned, rubbing his eyes with his hand, and headed downstairs, following the voices that steadily grew louder as he got closer. Time was with Light and Orange Leader, each one nursing a cup of tea. They all looked towards him when he came down the stairs, each one giving their own greeting. He gave a half-hearted wave as he stumbled to the kitchen.

Why must everyone he knows be a morning person?

Sabre didn't think twice before swiping a berry muffin Time baked, taking a bite before heading back to the group. Light gave a small laugh when he reappeared, not bothering to hide his amused smile when Sabre flopped down on the couch next to him.

Sabre narrowed his eyes, sticking his tongue out when he was done with his bite. Light stuck his tongue out back at him, earning the two dramatic sighs from the other two.

The group continued talking about whatever they were discussing. Sabre didn't bother listening in, just enjoying the sound of his friends being happy.

They deserved to be happy with everything that recently happened.

Sabre took another bite, gazing at the sky out the window. Part of him wished he could fly just so he could be up in the clouds. Well, in the clouds when there actually are clouds.

He always felt confined to the ground, even though he never got to experience the feeling of flying. It's not like he had wings or powers. Just a minor color changing appearance depending on the weather. Another bite was taken, a berry giving a hint of a sour taste to the sweet bread.

Sabre watched with wind kick up slightly, sending a few leaves tossing down the street. A few Steves that were walking by held onto their items in surprise, making sure their items didn't blow away. Another bite.