DAY 1

POV: Shubman Gill 

‘Sir, sir, look this side, please look here’. The paparazzi’s called out one by one. The sound of camera flashes filled the hall where the GQ magazines ‘Style icons of 2023 awards were being held. Young actors and sportsmen were posing on the stage with their trophies. The night was filled with interviews, posing for numerous news outlets, small talks and handshakes. Time passed in a blur of flashes and conversations. It was well past midnight when one by one all the guests started to leave the venue. 

Shubman Gill, along with his PR team exited the hall, again to be met with more media personnel and fans, screaming his name. His bodyguards formed a barrier around him and tried to escort him outside as soon as possible. Shubman was a sight to admire, clad in a black suit. He smiled brightly at the cameras and waved at the fans as he hurried across the reception and left the hotel. ‘Shubman sir, one picture, one last picture’ they shouted. He obliged, he stood near his Range Rover and looked here and there as they called his name. 

‘ Thank you, thank you," he said and got into the car. 

The car made its way slowly through the crowd and got onto the highway. Shubman was tired, it was a hectic day. He unbuttoned the top button of his shirt and settled in the seat. Though there was endless traffic on the road, there was something calming about the warm street lights on the highway. Shubman’s eyes felt heavy as he stared at the cars slowly moving around him. He rested his head on the headrest and closed his eyes for a while. 

The sound of a text woke Shubman up. He stretched and looked at the road, almost home. Rubbing his eyes he checked the phone. 

‘you are out of ice cream.’ 

Shubman laughed and texted back. 

‘why are you in my house?’ 

‘where else would I be?’ the reply came. 

He laughed again and asked the driver to stop near a shop. 

‘Sir, I think I should go and get it, if they see you, people will gather around’. His bodyguard said. 

Shubman nodded and handed him some money. A while later the bodyguard came out of the shop and they drove off. 

Shubman lived in a gated community. People from rich backgrounds either owned or rented out the apartments or entire buildings. The driver parked the car near his building and opened the car door for him. Shubman mumbled a thank you, said goodnight and went up the lift with his bodyguard. 

The elevator door opened to the 15th floor. Shubman got off and walked over to his apartment.

 ‘You can go now Ibrahim, goodnight’ he said to his bodyguard as he unlocked the door. 

The bodyguard smiled but stood back to make sure he went in and locked the door. Can't be too safe these days, even in gated communities like this. 

Before he entered the living room, he heard noises from a video game. He shook his head and walked through the small hallway and made it in. His apartment was cozy and minimally decorated with black and white interiors. High windows opened to a vast balcony overlooking the city lights of Mumbai. 

His eyes wandered over to the white marbled kitchen counter where there was an empty carton of ice cream.

‘ I should take your key back’ Shubham said and made his way over to the sofa. 

No answer, the noise of gunshots filled the silence. Instead of sitting down he went and stood infront of the tv.

‘Yaar, get out of the way’.