November 12

POV: Shubman Gill

It was past midnight when Ibrahim pulled up to the hospital. He didn't want Shubman to be seen going through the front, so he arranged for the manager to help them inside through the back exit. His team of security men were already there, keeping eyes on the whole block and inside the hospital as well, making sure nothing leaks to the media.

Shubman and his father walked behind Ibrahim and entered the hospital. It was a grim sight to see. White wall, with blinding white lights. The windows were covered in bars, the outside walls had barbed wires. Shubman held his father's hands, as they made it to the corridor where Mayank's room was. There were faint screaming sounds, unsettling banging noises, of whispers, of loud conversations.

‘ There is never a moment of silence…no one ever sleeps here, you know’ the manager tried to make small talk.

‘ Why is Mayank kept in a separate corridor?’

‘ No one likes that boy. Not the staff, not the patients. Imagine being so crazy that even the worst ones are petrified by you….’

Shubman tightened his grip around his father's hands.

‘ On good days, he's respectful, he's sweet to everyone. Some of the female nurses think he's good looking…but when he goes crazy, nothing is enough to stop him’

‘ He says he doesn't remember what happens to him during those moments. He always passes out after having convulsions. He wakes up and he's back to his normal self…’

‘ Ah…here it is’

The manager stopped in front of a corridor, with two security men. Both of them holding batons.

‘ We have to protect ourselves…’ the manager mumbled as he saw them exchange glances at each other.

‘ Mayank's room is at the end of the corridor. He's awfully quiet tonight…’ he said pressing his staff card to open the locked doors.

Shubman took a deep breath and entered through the doors. He paused and looked at the two men besides him. He was scared, he wanted to go back home, but he also wanted to know the reason for all the anguish. He tightly held his father's hands and slowly made his way to where Mayank was.

The wind was picking up outside, banging against the window, making it rattle. The thunder and lightning made Shubman's heart beat faster to the point that he felt light headed. They had just taken a few steps in when they heard the faint sound of singing.

‘ Stop..’ Ibrahim whispered.

They turned around at the manager who's resilient eyes betrayed him. The security guard's tightened their hands around the batons. Ibrahim listened closely, the singing had stopped. He gestured to them to move.

A slight drizzle had started colliding against the window. The cold wind made Shubman's teeth ache. He clenched his jaw and tried not to look at the flickering lights. The faint sound of singing had started again. The closer they got to the room, the clearer the singing got. A shiver of fear ran up Shubman's spine as he realized what the lines were.

Saathi Re Saathi Re
Marke Bhi Tujhko Chahega Dil
Tujhe Hi Bechainiyon Mein
Payega Dil
O Companion, O Companion
Even In Death, My Heart Will Love You
It Will Find You In Restlessness
My Heart Will Find You

Mayank stood near the window, arms folded behind his back. Shubman stared at the floor, he couldn't bring himself to look up at Mayank. Everything that Mayank did painfully to him came back to his mind. All the horrors he had seen in Mayank's house made him feel nauseated. He still felt the lingering touch of Mayank's hands on his lips when he had broken into Shubman's house.