September 9

POV: Shubman Gill

‘ IBRAHIM???!’ Simran was panicking.

Ibrahim laid Shubman on the bed and touched his forehead. He was burning up.

‘ Call his doctor," Ibrahim instructed one of his men.

‘ Ibrahim?!’ Simran pleaded through her tears, holding Shubman's hand.

‘ I…I don't know yet’ Ibrahim mumbled, he was deep in thought.

Simran watched as Ibrahim paced around, cracking his fingers. Shubman stirred in this sleep, groaning in pain, droplets of sweat rolling off his face.

‘ Sir, the doctors will take a while to come’ one of the men came running and told him.

Ibrahim let out a groan and watched as the nurses came and started with the injections and IV.

Simran got up in a fit of anger and walked towards Ibrahim.

‘ I know you are hiding something, what is it?’ she's asked, fuming.

‘ I'm not sure Simran, I will tell you when I'm absolutely sure’

‘ What the hell do you ……’ Simran was interrupted by the nurses.

‘ We have started the IV for the fever. The doctors will be coming in soon’

Ibrahim looked at his watch, it was past 2 AM. Maybe he shouldn't have taken Shubman out that late at night, but even then, what was to be revealed would have revealed itself even if he kept Shubman in a glass box.

‘I …I will come back’ Ibrahim said and headed to the door.

Simran grabbed his arm and turned him around. More than anger, there was fear on her face. Her lips trembled as she spoke.

‘ You can't leave us. Not after. …Not after that'

For a moment Ibrahim stared at Simran's hand on his arm.

‘ I will be back soon. Someone will be here with you’ he said softly.

‘ I'm scared Ibrahim… something is happening, isn't it?’ she cried out.

‘ Don't be scared. Just a few minutes and I will tell you everything’

With that Ibrahim was gone. Simran leaned against the armrest of the sofa and cried into her hands. The piercing coldness of the room sent shivers up and down her spine. She thought of Shubman, who was struggling even in an unconscious state.

‘ Madam, why don't you sit down’

Simran didn't look up, she nodded and collapsed onto the sofa. She tried to warm herself against the cold by wrapping the black shawl around her. What was she going to tell her parents? What the boy said, was that true? How can it be?  Was that the reason for his strange behavior? Was he telling the truth the entire time? Simran had too many questions and not enough answers.

Simran sluggishly woke up to the sound of someone groaning. The coldness of the room was seeping into her body, making her feel sleepy. She hadn't realized when she had fallen asleep. She rubbed her eyes and tried to make sense of the noise. Looking around, her eyes stopped at the curtain which was surrounding Shubman's bed. Someone was kicking the curtain. Simran's heart skipped a beat in fear as she ran towards the bed. She pulled back the curtains and reeled back in fear at the sight of what she saw.

Shubman had the IV line wrapped around the security guard's neck. The end which was in Shubman's arm was pulled out and a trail of blood fell from his arms and onto the guy's face which was now turning blue. His eyes bulging, the veins popping out from the temples, he was struggling to stay alive.