three

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter three

"Your brother will be fine. But I've seen him play volleyball and there's no chance he'll do well in sports."

I spent the past three minutes walking with Mike to our next class with Mr. Molina but all he's managed to do is talk about my brother. He thinks i'm concerned about Beau fitting in — I'm not — so I believe it's probably some crush.

"Does your brother have any other hobbies? Stuff he's uh — good at?"

"He likes to read."

"Oh. Yeah, that's good! That's good. Always good to read, strengthen your brain and all." Mike casually punched my shoulder and when I stopped to stare at him, he rushed into the classroom in a panic.

I rolled my eyes and followed after him, but with one quick look around I could tell something was different about the room.

I strolled over to my seat with Amanda that was currently occupied by Sunny. I raised my eyebrow at the girls while trying to juggle my textbooks in one hand.

"Uh, Sunny? You're in my seat — what happened to Molly?" I looked over at Sunny's old seat and saw that Mike was now occupying it.

"Mr. Molina changed the seats." Amanda whispered. "Said certain people were talking too much during class."

I exhaled heavily throughout my nose and just as I began to turn around and scold our teacher, he pointed towards a seat to my left. "You'll be sitting with Mr. Cullen from now on, Ms. Swan."

Part of me wanted to scream and throw my books in the air like a child. But the other part of me decided to keep my mouth shut and make myself comfortable in my new seat.

I looked over at Edward but he was avoiding eye contact by staring out the window as it rained.

I pressed my lips into a firm tight line and made my way over to the table, dropping my bag on the ground with a loud thud to make my presence known.

Edward slowly turned his head but still refused to look at me as his jaw clenched tightly and his fist curled up into a ball on the table. It looked like he smelt something rotten.

I sat down carefully before looking back at my friends and sending them a "help me" look. Sunny and Amanda both gave me a thumbs up in response.

I slowly picked up a strand of hair to see if I smelt bad or anything from lunch, but all I could smell was my blueberry perfume and coconut shampoo. What the hell was his deal?

"Today we'll be observing the behavior of planaria, a.k.a flatworms." Mr. Molina began to pass out two petri dishes per table while he explained. "We're going to cut them in half, then watch them regenerate into two separate worms.."

I picked the courage to finally speak to him. If we were going to be partners, I needed him to understand my capabilities and what I'll expect when it comes to being partners.

"Look," I glanced at him from the side as Mr. Molina continued to explain today's study. "You're good at science, I remember that but so am I. But we're not friends. So why don't we save each other the trouble and just work alone until it's time we work together? Then I'll work on my part, you work on yours, and we can meet in the middle in class. Yes?"