thirty nine

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter thirty nine

3rd person point of view

Kai pulls up to the curb right outside of Aspens house. During the remaining ten minutes on the way home, she managed to fall asleep resting against his body after finally warming up. Kai was very hesitant to move around in fear of waking her up but knew it would benefit her better if she could get herself into warmer clothes and crawl into bed

He hovered his hand over her shoulder as he was about to gently shake her awake, but a small noise fell from her lips while she slept — causing a tight pull against his chest.

He decided to give her another five minutes — to at least have around twenty minutes of a nap before waking her up and feel disgustingly groggy afterwards. But it was also just another excuse for him to hold her while she slept.

How could you possibly enjoy doing something that you've never done before but felt like it's something you've been waiting for your entire life?

He genuinely didn't care about the girl in the very beginning. He knew who she was and knew about her hanging around the Cullens — the boys weren't dumb and were able to figure things out on themselves when it came to vampires. The Cullens in general never made Kai feel comfortable and when he heard that this girl was attached to them like gum, he had a strong disliking towards her without even meeting her.

But then he saw her sitting there beside Embry in Julie's shed, her long curly brown hair sitting on her shoulders and her peach covered lips saying words he didn't understand; because all he could focus on was the way the world suddenly stopped spinning.

Imprinting on someone can't be taught — although it's explained usually the same way for everyone, it always feels a bit different for each couple.

His strong hatred for the Cullens blinded him for how he felt about her in the beginning. He wanted to hate her in the beginning because who would willingly befriend a group of bloodsuckers that purposely killed for pleasure?

He didn't understand it — he refused to grasp the concept at first but not being able to see her or spend time around her — even the fact Embry got to see her more pissed him off.

She was his.

It was an overwhelming protective and selfish idea to even think about "claiming" somebody. But when you imprint on another person, it makes things much more difficult when you see your supposed soulmate spending time with someone else.

The tips of his fingers just barely grazed the side of her face as  he tried to caress her sleeping figure until the phone in his back pocket aggressively vibrated.

His fringes curled into a tight fist before he quickly fished out his phone and flipped it open in a hurry. He wanted to end the conversation with whoever it was on the other line as quickly as possible in fear that it would wake Aspen.

"What?"

"Have you seen Aspen? Please tell me you're with her — Beau is freaking out. We found a note on the cliff where we usually go to dive — "

Julie rambled on and on just as Kai dropped his gaze on Aspen, who was still sound asleep and pressed against his body comfortably. "She's fine. We just got back to her house, she's sleeping."