nine

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter nine

I entered the cafeteria with my shoulders slouched forward and my bag starting to fall off my shoulders. I spent the past ten minutes begging Mr. Molina let me switch places with anybody else in the classroom — Edward made it painfully clear that he didn't want anything to do with me and because of that, I would make it insanely difficult for me to focus in class without having anxiety.

But of course my luck was still absolute shit — Mr. Molina exclaimed how excellent Edward and I were as partners. He practically stated we were the best in his class — obviously, I know that — and he wants to see us work together more on future projects. He also tried to use whatever parental advice he had deep deep down and told me maybe "Edward just likes me" but by then I heard enough and excused myself to lunch.

"La Push baby! You in Pen?"

I dropped my bag into a chair beside my brother and shrugged my shoulders at Eric. Beau looked between us curiously, "should I know what that means?"

Mike had a handful of today's pasta in his mouth, waving his fork at my brother while trying to speak. "La Push beach. It's down on the Quileute rez. We're going after school. Big swell coming in."

Eric suddenly jumped up on his chair and stretched out his arms wide, nearly hitting me in the face as I bobbed my head to the side annoyed. "And I don't just surf the internet!"

"Eric, you stood up once. On a foam board." Jessica corrected.

Angela took my hand in hers and swung ours back and forth happily. "There's whale watching, too. Come with!"

"Me and Amanda are working on the book fair that's happening next week – if anybody cares." Sunny grumbled.

I patted her head gently as I started making my exit. "And we'll be there to support you. Nothing screams childhood memories like a scholastic book fair."

Everyone at the table laughed but Eric was continuously saying "La push baby – La push" which was making my brother visibly uncomfortable. "Okay — I'll go if you stop saying that."

I walked over towards the salad bar and started putting together a small bowl of mixed fruit. Grapes, Strawberries, and apple slices were a special kind of favorite — mangoes were one fruit I found disgusting. I always scrunch my nose in disgust when I got a whiff of them.

"Is it sour or something?"

I lifted my head and suddenly Edythe with her sister Rosalie were at my side. Neither of them had any food on their lunch tray yet but Rosalie looked appalled while staring at the selection of vegetables. Me too, honestly.

"Uhm — I just don't like the smell of them. Too pungent." I slowly shuffled to the left and started collecting a variation of blueberries and a banana next.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Rosalie kicking Edythe's foot but the girl barely moved like she was a solid rock wall. I looked at the girls again with a blank stare while I waited for them to get to the punchline. I've never spoken to any of the other Cullen's before — Rosalie at least a few times that I can remember, we share the same History class.

Edythe exhaled and decided to ditch the tray in front of her by crossing her arms over her chest. "You're Beau's sister right?"

I blinked several times at the girl. "Yes. I thought you two were friends — wouldn't you have known that?"

Rosalie smirked but played it off by brushing some of her hair off her shoulder.

"Yes, I do." Edythe grunted sharply. "What I meant to say was — He's actually not speaking to me right now. We got into a disagreement. I wanted to see if he was okay."