thirty seven

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter thirty seven

Embry was driving my car to Emily's place while I sat passenger side with Jared and Quil in the back, joking amongst themselves and teasing Kai's fight with Paul. I couldn't stop playing Paul's words over and over again, he said Kai imprinted on me — whatever that meant, but it must've meant something personal for Kai to react the way he did.

When we arrived at Emily's place, Quil and Jared were the first to get out of the car, shoving one another playfully.

"Pay up, she didn't puke." Jared laughed and Quil slapped a folded dollar into the palm of his hand.

Embry looked over at me when I didn't move to exit the car. His hand hovered over mine and his thumb grazed over my knuckles. "Are you okay? Do you need a moment?"

I shifted awkwardly in my seat before glancing over at him. "We — should go back, make sure Kai is okay."

"Oh," Embry frowned. "He'll be fine. They know to meet us back here when they're done with their little tiff. Sam will settle things out between them."

Jared suddenly opened my side of the car door open, leaning against it with a large grin. "I hope Paul gets some teeth in him. Serve him right."

Quil appeared beside him now. "Yeah right. Paul was out of line and you know it — it's about time someone put him in his place."

Embry sighed beside me before climbing out of the car and I followed suit. The boys shut the door behind me and guided me up to the small cottage home. It was inviting with the way its cabin features had a wrap-around porch, a swing, and some plants lined up across the wall.

"Easy money," Jared shook his head. "Paul's been at it longer."

I froze and looked at the boys, appalled by their casual nature — turning everything into a joke. They finally realized I wasn't following when all three of them turned around puzzled until Jared grinned. "Come on in, we don't bite."

I sighed softly in defeat and followed warily, joining them up on the porch until Embry spun around to face me. "Oh, hey, about Emily — Sam's fiance — try not to stare. It bugs Sam."

I furrowed my eyebrows but nodded my head. "Okay — why would I stare?"

The four of us entered the house and the boys immediately took their place at a round table to relax. I stood in the middle of the threshold, waiting to be invited in properly — I was raised better than to just make myself at home in a strangers house.

A girl, who I presumed to be Emily, was standing by the counter in the kitchen and popping fresh muffins out of a tin. She turned to greet us, a large smile on her face but I instantly understood why Embry gave me the warning.

She had a large scar impacting the right side of her gorgeous face — half of it blocked by her long black hair. "You guys hungry?" She carried a large plate of muffins towards the table. "Like I have to ask," she giggled while placing the plate down then smacking Jared's hand away as he tried to retrieve three muffins for himself. "Save some for your brother."

She lifted her gaze to meet mine, her bright smile falling softer and more inviting. "Who's this?"

I tried not to stare at the vivid scar that runs down her hairline to her chin, all three lines red and deep that caused a small twist across her mouth. I quickly looked away but smiled politely with a shy wave. "I'm Aspen — Aspen Swan."

"Who else?" Jared laughed while having half a muffin shoved in his mouth.

"Swan? Beau swan's sister?" Emily asked with a small tilt of her head. I nodded silently and brushed some of my hair from my face then furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Wait, you know my brother?"