forty six

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter forty six

"I'm proud of you for going and visiting your mother." Edward's thumb caressed my cheek after he parked his Volvo in the school parking lot. "Opening up to me and telling me about your past — I'm so proud of you." His voice dropped lower.

I turned to face him in my seat just as he leaned forward to plant a kiss on my forehead. "Thank you," I nodded. "It meant a lot that I was able to forgive her."

I turned my face away as the sadness was still blooming in my chest. Saying goodbye to her was a lot harder than I expected it to be.

"Do you regret going?"

I shook my head. "No, not at all. But I didn't expect our goodbye to be so — painful."

Edward placed his hand on my leg and rubbed it soothingly. "It doesn't have to be goodbye, you know?"

I turn to him again and slightly raise my eyebrows. "Is that the whole reason you asked me to go? You thought I was going to change my mind?"

His eyebrows furrowed with discontent. "I'm always hoping for that. But I was also hoping it would turn into a beautiful outcome." His gaze finally met mine and he offered me a gentle smile. "This is something you've been eternally fighting with for years."

He then leaned forward like he was about to offer me a kiss but I watched him visibly stiffen and look away from my direction.

"What is it?" I followed his gaze out the window. He unbuckled his seatbelt, "If I asked you to stay in the car, would you?"

I gave him a blank stare and watched him get out of the car. Something was tingling in my bones to follow after — much to his dismay by the look of disapproval on his face once I got out.

"Of course not," I heard him grumble under his breath.

I followed after Edward towards the stairway of the school parking lot, almost tripping against the wet pavement when I realized Kai was here.

He was leaning back against one of the motorcycles I built with Julie and Beau last year. His arms were crossed tightly around his chest, his demeanor clearly frightening everyone else but I was more than delighted to see him. Well, to see he was still alive of course — after being ignored for months on end.

"Kai!" I called out his name.

His expression was hard but it softened just slightly when his gaze met mine. Edward purposely slowed down his pace to walk behind me.

Once I was close enough to Kai, my instincts were to pull him into a hug or punch him for going radio silent but decided against both. "What are you doing here?" I asked as his eyes raked over my body curiously, his eyes turning into slits briefly. "Charlie said you left town."

I nodded. "Yeah, to visit my mom."

"He's checking to see if you're still human." Edward chuckled from behind me.

Kai's concentration turns to Edward now and i'm forced to turn as Kai took a daring step forward. "I've come here to warn you." He purposely moved in Edward's direction and lowered his voice. "If your kind come on our land again..."