five

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter five

"I'm shocked you guys finally had a chance to talk — did it go well?"

Sunny waved her hand around to dismiss Amanda's comment. "I'm not shocked at all. The two smartest people in our science class winning the golden onion? I stopped putting in effort after the first slide.

"Yeah. I know." Amanda shot her down with a cold glare.

I pushed the exit doors open to the parking lot of the school, still trying my best to wrap my brain around the last five minutes of the conversation I had with Edward. We haven't spoke since and I got the feeling we were no longer on good terms — what was the point?

"Pen — Hello." Sunny waved her hand in front of my face before stepping in front of me. "You've been totally spaced out."

"I'm not." I mumbled softly then turned my head at least a few centimeters to get a glance at Edward and his siblings standing around their cars. I felt a chill shoot down my spine like I was being watched.

"I have a lot on my mind," I confessed. "School, my brother, unfortunately questioning if I really do smell that bad."

I ignored the girls concerning looks as I walked straight to my car with them trailing behind me.

"Excuse me?" Amanda laughed. "I've never not known you to smell like strawberries or passion fruit."

"Yeah, what's the deal?" Sunny agreed, folding her arms across her chest then leaning against my car door.

I sighed while tossing my book bag into the back seat. "I'm just wondering if I'm actually that bad? But I also have never cared once about what people thought about me, so why now?"

Amanda slowly shook her head. "I think you're being dramatic overall. Stop worrying about what other people think of you, it's not important."

"Oh yeah?" I arched my left eyebrow then gestured towards the Cullens while they conversed in what looked like a very serious topic while continuously glancing at me. "Then why the hell are the romantic siblings acting like I spit in their lunches. If they keep staring at me I might as well pose for them."

"It is unusual," Sunny mumbled to us while trying to make it less obvious that she was staring back. "Maybe they like you."

I glared at my friend. "I seriously doubt that."

"Look," Amanda grabbed ahold of my shoulders and forced me to make eye contact with her. "Cut the shit. You never really cared about them or Edward to begin with, stop letting it bother you."

"No, no. I think it's because it's obvious."

I pointed at Sunny while looking at Amanda, hinting that for once she was actually right. Maybe if the Cullens stopped acting like I was a walking disease, I wouldn't care so much. But every time I catch them staring at me and mumbling under their breaths, I get this sick feeling in my stop like i'm going to die.

Amanda smiled then patted the top of my head like I was a child. "There, there, this too shall pass." She then fixed her bag over her shoulder and saluted me. "See you tomorrow girl."

"We love you — or whatever." Sunny smiled as she leaned in to quickly kiss my cheek.

I scrunched my face in disgust and quickly wiped the kiss away in response.

"Call us if you need us!" I watched my second best friend prance away like everything in her life was sunshine and smiles. Bitches.

I shook my head and turned to shut the back door of my car until I noticed one of my textbooks had fallen out of my bag. I reached down to collect it from the wet ground at the same time someone screamed my name.

"Aspen!"

"Hey watch out!"

I stood up quickly and my eyes widened with suspense as Tyler's grey van started hurdling towards me with no control. I purposely dropped my textbook and went to take a run for it so I could get out of the way, but in the next millisecond there was a firm grasp around my waste and my body pressed against someone else's just as Tyler's van was about to come into contact of us.

Instinctively I covered my face with my arms but the screeching of tires and the sound of metal being stretched apart kept me hiding for too long.

Once I opened my eyes and lowered my hands, Edward was right there beside me with one arm still grasping onto me and the other putting a dent into the vehicle.

I inhaled so sharply I started coughing from the adrenaline and shock washing over me.

Edward glanced down at me with wide fierce eyes but a glint of worry spread across his face. I wanted to say something but I didn't know what — neither did he clearly, as he released me from his grasp and suddenly hauled himself away from the accident by jumping over the hood of my car.

Everyone was gathering around me by then. My brother, Amanda and Sunny — Ang, Jessica, and Mike. Students I didn't even recognize as they frantically asked if I was okay and started calling for help.

I couldn't wipe the shock off my face as I forced myself to peel my eyes from the very obvious dent Edward left behind with no source of injury.

Was I even injured? Did I just escape death? And was it going to come back and bite me in the ass? I've seen the Final Destination movies you know.