twenty nine

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter twenty nine

Dad's cruiser was gone for the day and I was unduly curious as to why my brother was putting two bikes into the back of his truck. They weren't just any kind of bike but the type that ran on gas — but the incredibly cheap and broken kind of motorcycle.

I watched from the window as my brother communicated with our neighbor and decided to join the festivities that were happening out front of my house.

"Hey, Pen! Good to see you." Our neighbor, Mr. Brock waved at me as I walked over to where he stood near my brother.

I smiled at him then eyed the bikes curiously with my arms crossed over my chest. "What's going on?"

"My son left last week for college," he began to explain. "I've been planning to get rid of these things for awhile now, nothing but junk sitting in my garage. Your brother said he would be more than happy to take them off my hands and get them restored to their former glory."

I looked at my brother strangely. "Is that so? My unathletic sibling wants to play around with a few dirt bikes?"

"Yup." Beau deadpanned right as he closed the back of his truck. "I'm taking them to Julie's, her dad has that shed in the back where they repaired my truck."

"Well, I'm coming with you." I purposely invited myself to uphold my promise to our father that I would get out more.

The look on Beau's face was telling me he had other plans to go alone but said nothing as he said goodbye to our neighbor and got into the truck.

The drive to Julie Black's place was partially quiet and I spent most of the time staring out the window while the soft echo of music filled the silent void between us. I wanted to ask my brother how he was doing but we both weren't usually the type to talk about our feelings, especially with one another.

We were always close as siblings, even managed to see one another as best friends, but there was always an invisible line that separated us when it came to our emotions. We handled them differently and I had no doubt in my mind he would rather not speak about the Cullens — just as I was hoping to avoid it.

I did my best to block out any thought of Edward that I could. Any flash of memory that seeped its way into my mind would immediately be shut down by an exclusive thought to distract myself.

Any thought about Edward would only twist at my heart and resurface the pain I've settled with the past three months. But then the pain would turn into anger and I would be forced to regret any moment I spent with him.

If he didn't want to be with me any longer and didn't see me in his future then so be it. I wasn't about to force a man to stay with me only for my own benefit when the truth was that he never wanted me to begin with.

Our times together were practically a dream — made up and sought out so he wasn't forced to kill me like he wanted to. Being near me was enough for him to get by and I've started to accept that I was no longer wanted in his life.

I needed to move on, for good. I don't know how I was going to do so but I did perfectly fine on my own before, I'm sure I could do it again.

Beau parked the truck along a worn down dirt path near the shed. Julie quickly appeared, making her presence known as she stepped out of the large red shed with delight covering her face.

"Hi guys!" She waved at us with both hands. A wide and beautiful smile stretched across her lips as Beau was the first to get out of the truck and greet her. She's never looked at me that excitedly before, I thought to myself.