thirty four

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter thirty four

I burst into the house out of breath and obviously out of shape as I slam the front door behind me, anxiously locking it as if it was enough to keep the wolves away.

"Pen? Whats wrong?"

I whipped around at the sound of my dad's voice. "Dad? Dad!" I ran into the dining room where him and Harry were cleaning their fishing gear — Beau now at the table with them while he watched. All three of them stared up at me confused and slightly frightened by my direct charge.

I sucked in a quick breath and placed my hands on top of my head in worry. "They are not bears! I saw them! Up in a meadow — "

Charlie dropped the cleaning rag almost forcefully on the table as he sighed heavily. "Damn it, I told you not to go into the woods Pen!"

"You're not listening to me!" I snapped back at him.

Harry Clearwater got up from the chair and held his hands up between my father and I. "What did you see, Aspen?"

"Wolves!" My eyes were blown wind now, no doubt my pupils large enough to scare my brother as he jumped out of the chair next. "They're wolves, dad!"

Harry sighs ever-so-slightly and silence falls upon us. I waved my hands around frantically by their lack of response. "Six of them! They're like — the size of horses, I swear. They were after — something — " I paused and licked my lips to bring back the moisture from my run. "And that's when I ran. All the way back here so we should go!"

Charlie quickly grabs his phone off the table and begins to dial a number. "Harry, can you get some men from the rez?"

Harry nodded once. "Sure — yeah, I'll just — " he seems less enthusiastic about the situation and more concerned as my father spoke into his cell phone. "Jerry? Put a hunting party together — tranq guns, large caliber shotguns — there's something dangerous out there."

Beau appeared beside me now and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. Charlie ended the phone call and goes to his gun cabinet. "I've gotta go to the station."

"Good!" I nodded eagerly. "That's good."

He walked towards my brother and I now, a concerned expression written across his face. "You both okay here? You want to come with?"

I shake my head. "Actually, I wanted to see a friend."

Charlie's gaze shifted from mine to Beau's. "Go with her. I don't want either of you alone right now." He steps away from the both of us and walks across the dining room to the front door, Harry Clearwater following close behind until our dad spun around to glare at me. "I swear Pen, if you go off into the woods again — "

"I won't!" I scolded back, almost annoyed he wasn't taking the situation more seriously than I needed him too.

When they were both gone and I was left alone with Beau, I grabbed my pack again and started moving towards the front door until he stopped me. "Where are you going?"

"To see Embry, finally." I grabbed the door handle just as my brother sighed behind me. "Julie said he's not home."

I turned to look at Beau and raised an eyebrow at him. "Then we'll go see Julie and find out what she knows."