twenty two

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter twenty two

I couldn't peel my eyes away from the painting in front of me hanging on the Cullens wall. There were several other paintings surrounding it but this one caught my eye the longest — but it also put a nervous chill down my spine.

"Francesco Solimena painted this," Edward spoke beside me. "He often depicted the Volturi as God's."

I narrowed my eyes at one of the men in the paintings. "And that's Carlisle?"

He nodded. "Yes. He lived with them for a few decades. He describes them as very refined —- for killers."

"So this is basically your — government?" I raised my eyebrow at the painting, unable to look away from it as I studied it closely.

The painting was centuries old — no doubt repainted throughout the years to keep it fresh and looking new. Within the painting the floor was marbled and the only source of light is a open oculus in the domed ceiling above them.

There's three large wooden chairs at the center of the painting. Half a dozen vampires in elegant 18th century attire — three of them wearing a darker shade of clothing compared to the others in the painting.

"The Volturi are what you might call enforcers." Edward rubbed the back of his neck and pointed to the three obvious vampires that stood out the most amongst the others. "Marcus and Caius — that's Aro, the leader. The only rule they have is to keep secret the existence of our kind."

I finally looked sway from the painting and up towards Edward as he continued to explain the history. "We don't make spectacles of ourselves, or kill conspicuously— unless we want to die."

I quickly shook my head and exhaled a nervous sigh. "Let's not talk about it anymore." I stepped away from the painting and Edward followed my step. "You can't — let anyone hurt you. The Volturi or anyone else."

Edward placed a gentle hand on my elbow and guided me to turn around and face him. "Who else would hurt me?" He questioned.

I shrugged my shoulders. "You said there were more dangerous things out there than you. And I know you have at least one enemy — "

"Are you asking about Victoria?"

I pressed my lips together firmly then nodded. "You said she'd come after you for killing her mate."

He rubbed a hand down my arm then took my hand in his comfortably. "Yes, someday. But Alice will see her coming — and she won't win."

"I hate that I can't protect you." Edward laughed, amused by my comment but I held a blank stare at him. "That was me being serious."

Edward smiled down at me before planting a kiss on my forehead. "I know. But you do protect me in other ways." He then kissed the tip of my nose and I scrunched it voluntarily. "From boredom, with your amazing sense of stubbornness. Then of course, loneliness..." He kissed my lips softly and I subconsciously started to melt into his arms. He spoke in between kisses, small and sweet but enough to create weakness in my legs. "You give me a reason to stay... un-dead. But it's my job to protect you."

"You're impossible," I managed to respond breathlessly.

He kept his lips hovering over mine but I could still feel him smirking. "Have I told you how stunning you look tonight? You are astonishing irresistible."