forty eight

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter forty eight

Edward and I pulled up to the spot where Kai wanted to meet for the exchange. It was the beginning of my dramatic protection program. My afternoon with Edward was actually fairly wonderful — we went on a lunch date together and he took me to my favorite art gallery afterwards.

I didn't know what my evening with Kai was going to look like, but the fact he stood next to his worn out truck with no shirt on and his long brown hair draped over his shoulders — I wanted to throw myself out of the volvo.

Edward tensed next to me and I avoided all eye contact with Kai as I got out of the car. The smallest glimpse I got from him was purposely focusing his attention on Edward. The quicker I get through the evening, the faster I can get home.

"Doesn't he own a shirt?" I look up at Edward and the boys are sharing a similar intense look. I shake my head, "I think I'm good here. I'll text you later."

Before I could even think of taking a step back, Edward had his arms circled around my waist and pulled me directly into his chest. "You call me if you want me to pick you up sooner — even if it's in the next five minutes, okay?" I smiled and gave him a single nod just as he held my chin with his finger and thumb. "Don't rush," I assure him. "You need to eat."

Without as much as a warning he leans in and gives me a toe curling kiss that has me leaning up into his body for more.

I could sense my head lolling backwards once his fingers crept into my hair and I had to force myself to pull away before things escalated. I knew there was a purpose behind that kiss — but I was left feeling dizzy and intoxicated wanting more. Last night just wasn't enough.

"Okay," I manage to speak out breathlessly. "Maybe rush a little bit."

His lips curl up into a satisfied grin. I untangled myself from his arms and walked off towards Kai, not able to meet his stare out of pure embarrassment. I'm sure my face was twelve times the average shade of red and my pupils were blown wide.

"Hi princess."

Kai could've fooled me completely the way he pulled me close for a strong embrace. I felt his muscles flex against my body — I wasn't sure if it were possible for wolves to produce more heat just by a simple touch but now my body felt on fire.

I placed my hand on his toned stomach and gently jerked us away from each other with a crooked smile. "Since when did you start calling me princess?"

"Since now." He walked over to the driver's side of his truck just as Edward drove away at the speed of light. I watched my boyfriend's Volvo disappear into thin air with a small frown, a small pang in my chest forming by watching him go.

"So, what do you want to do today?" I looked over at Kai finally, meeting his strong gaze. "We can bike, hike, hang? Your call." He shrugs his shoulders and just as I'm about to suggest a hobby that we both might particularly enjoy, he cuts me off. "Well, we're going to a party tonight."

I clamp my mouth shut and stare at him with narrowed eyes as he swings the truck door open and immediately gets behind the wheel.

We walked side by side along the dirt pathway to a bonfire situated at the back of Julie's house — closest to the trees and maybe ten to fifteen chairs all surrounding the fire. The group was laughing, eating hot dogs, talking amongst themselves calmly.

Billy was sitting at the natural head of the circle with Old Quil — Quil's ancient grandfather — sitting one side of him and Sue Clearwater on the other. Kai explained to me that they were the three council leaders — it didn't occur to me until now that this might've been an important meeting. I had no place here.