twelve

━━ love and death. (2024)
edward cullen x fem!oc
chapter twelve

"Here you are, one plate of raviolios." I watched the waitress place down my dinner in front of me after I moved my glass of water towards the side. Edward and I simultaneously glanced at one another and held each other's gaze while the waitress asked if Edward was sure he didn't want anything.

She had a flirtatious tone in her voice, lingering closer towards Edwards chair but he never lifted his gaze from mine as he politely told her no thank you.

"Okay, just let me know."

I finally looked down at my hot food and picked up my fork, carelessly moving it back and forth between my fingers while I debated if I was actually hungry or not. I was before but when I got surrounded by the group of guys — all I became was nauseous.

"You can have some of mine if you'd like," I offered to Edward.

The corner of his lips tugged upwards briefly before he shook his head. "I'm on a special diet."

I decided to take a small bite from the first ravioli but the anticipation to get some answers out of Edward could no longer hold me back. I dropped my fork onto my plate and pushed the entire thing forward before turning to him with a questionable look.

"Okay," I began calmly. "I'm going to need some answers."

Edward debated carefully before he began to remable off random answers that nearly made me kick him out of his chair. "Yes, no. To get to the other side, 1.772453851 — "

I exhaled slowly, my patience already wearing thin. "I didn't ask for what the square root of pi was, Edward."

His head lowered curiously as he smirked — impressed. "You knew that?"

"How did you know where I was?" I repeated but more sternly.

"I didn't."

I pinched the bridge of my nose frustratedly and moved my chair backwards while reaching for my jacket until Edward gently held my wrist to keep me from moving. "No — Please, don't go."

I stare at him for a brief moment while he contemplates with himself while shaking his head. I decided to give him another chance and sat back down in my chair. "So — what? Were you following me around?" I raised my eyebrow at him.

He closed his eyes for a split second then leaned closer to me, our chairs now somehow closer to one another as he spoke to me in a softer tone. "I feel – very protective over you, Aspen."

My lips parted in shock. "So, you were following me?"

"Yes," he finally admitted. "I followed you. I tried to keep my distance until you needed help. But then I heard what those low-lives were thinking — "

I started shaking my head while trying to comprehend everything so far. "Edward you've never — this is extremely sudden. All those times you pushed me away? I thought you hated me."

He chuckled under his breath. "That is the last thing I feel about you."

I nervously shifted in my seat and placed my hands on my lap as I began to push further on the obvious question that was sitting around us like a fat elephant. "So, you apparently heard what they were thinking? Do you read minds or something?" I couldn't help but let out a bit of laughter but quickly covered it while clearing my throat.

"I can read every mind in this room, apart from yours." He addressed. Now I was interested in what the hell was wrong with him. "Work, sex, money, sex, money — cat." I followed his gaze across the room as he acknowledged the few customers sitting at different tables before turning back to me. "But with you? Nothing."